Question about sending gear from USA to Europe...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm currently in Europe and may be going to Thailand (Phuket) in April...

My girlfriend and I both left our Atomic regs at my mom's house. She has an SPG and I have a Suunto Cobra... I was told to always carry it on the plane because of some pressure related reasons... I was curious if my mom sends the package via air mail from USA to Europe, would it mess up the Cobra in any way?

anyone been diving in Phuket before? should I even worry about taking my own gear?

thanks!

Jack

I'm not sure about the pressure issues. IIRC your cobra will automatically adjust to 10,000ft if it's turned on. If it's turned off I don't see it how it could get damaged. Maybe someone else could answer that.

One thing to keep in mind is to make darned sure that you include documentation in the shipment with proof that it's used and that you owned it before having it shipped over. If you don't then it may get hung up in customs while they demand you pay taxes on your "purchase" and you run around trying to prove that it was yours already.

I've had that happen and it sucks and creates big delays aside from the simple fact that just having to deal with customs makes you feel cynical about humanity.

R..

Many moon's ago I had a Cobra sent from Spain to OZ. There were no problems from the pressure differential during the flight. In fact, over the 6 or 7 years that I owned it, there were just no problems ever.

thanks guys... Kern, I've been very lucky with mine, I've had 2 friends who got Cobra at the same time as me, 1 flooded randomly (never was opened) the other worked, just never told air pressure (it did when she dived it in the pool, it just started malfunctioning in Bonaire)....

I'm currently in Europe and may be going to Thailand (Phuket) in April...

My girlfriend and I both left our Atomic regs at my mom's house. She has an SPG and I have a Suunto Cobra... I was told to always carry it on the plane because of some pressure related reasons... I was curious if my mom sends the package via air mail from USA to Europe, would it mess up the Cobra in any way?

anyone been diving in Phuket before? should I even worry about taking my own gear?

thanks!

Jack

Jack, we've got good rental gear here--not fancy, but brand names (my own rental stuff is all ScubaPro). You can also rent dive computers (I've got Suuntos). The only thing is that if you're not used to metric measures, it might take a few minutes for you to adjust your thinking. Your gauges are probably based on imperial units, right? (psi, feet)

Back
Top Bottom