California Lobster's - Fast and Fun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEP SEA

Contributor
Reaction score
California Divers - Lobster Season is around the corner. I thought it would be fun to hear some tips and/or techniques you may have on catching the slippery, usually out of reach, fast movers?

I don't have much chance to get out to CA for lobster season... for any of you who do, should you find yourself in the quandary of "too many bugs" - just ship the excess to me down here in Lower Alabama, where we will happily dispose of 'em properly for you. :)
Love,
Rick (firing up the grill)

Lobster Season is the best. First we'll enter a Lobster Contest on opening night and place a podium finish. Then we'll let the big-un back into the water and proceed to eat several of the normal ones. :D Lobster season is always fun for me. I dive non-stop for the first week and get soooo sick of eating Lobster 3 meals a day, that I won't eat it again till next season.

Perhaps we should organize a Night Dive on opening night. I'll bring the lights and a grill... anyone else want to dive?

Wow you can dive for lobsters at night in cal.?
How long is the season? open all year here in massachusetts.
But you dont see too many in the winter brr.
You guys got those wimpy clawless ones there hehe joking:)
Good luck from the other coast!
Rick L.

Wimpy??? I've seen some pretty darn big ones. Heck I've seen two or three that scared me man...

What is it anyhow, the first wedensday of October? 12:00 midnight is when everyone goes if I'm not mistaken.

Should be fun... :D

This years California Spiny Lobster Season starts Saturday Sept 30th :D and ends March 21st 2001. As long as you have a license ($29.40 plus a $2.65 Ocean Enhancement Stamp) your limit is 7 per day per diver. There is a size minimum of 3.25 inches for the lobsters carapice. The diver must have their license and gauge on them at all times. Pregnant ones must be left alone. Pouchers must be reported :fury:

For more info, you can check out the California Dept of Fish and Game Website

Two years ago I made the evening news with a very impressive (and tastey) one I picked off at Boomers Beach in La Jolla.

This is a snapshot of LaJolla's Beaches The pier is the world famous Scripps Pier. The Beach to the left of it is La Jolla Shores (Diver training grounds) and beneath the waves is a submarine canyon that resembles the fingers of a hand and reaches abysmal depths. The uppermost tip you see is La Jolla Cove, and to the left of it is Boomers Beach. It can get VERY rough there at times, with no easy access to the Lobster. Making this a challenging dive in certain parts of the year.

Mario,

I am up to going hunting. I have my license already, but I can't go when the season first opens because I will be out of state. When I come back though, let's do it.

brings back memories of diving at midnight and still making water polo practice at 6 AM :)

I miss SoCal diving. We used to make day dives for abalone and sheepshead then night dive for bugs, then go home and my Mom would cook for my buddies and I and we would feast into the wee hours, with Mom and Dad eating and drinking with us! The 70's were good to me and I even remember some of it!

Sounds good, if you don't already have my home phone number, ICQ or e-mail me and I'll get that to you. I'm all up for lobster diving... just about anytime!

I'll be there on 10/1 at 12:00:01. Don't forget your lobster gauge. It's $250 if you get caught without one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom