Would you buy historical wreck artifacts?

Is it ok to sell artifacts from wrecks?

• It's ok - it's no different than writing books.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • No...artifacts belong in museums or in the collection of someone who actually made the dive.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • No - take pictures and leave only bubbles

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • What's the question again?

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Sharpe

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was researching some ideas I have for a wreck diving road trip this coming summer when I came across the website of a well known wreck diver and author offering artifacts from the Andrea Doria and Empress of Ireland for sale.

In a way I found the notion of selling these items for profit offensive but another voice in my head suggested that it is merely a way of recovering the costs of expeditions and, in some ways, isn't really any different than profiting from the sale of books about these famous wrecks.

What are your thoughts on this practice?

The way I look at ship wrecks, especially saltwater, is that ultimately they are going to get claimed by the Ocean. By artifact hunting, one is actually preserving the wreck. Now tearing out the brass portholes and brass valves, I'm not so sure about that one.

With that, if it is something that you would find value and enjoyment in, why not?

I guess if there is nothing to be learned by archeology, it's not a war grave and it's not bolted down it's ok.

I came across the website of a well known wreck diver and author offering artifacts from the Andrea Doria and Empress of Ireland for sale.

Let me guess G.G.

I guess if there is nothing to be learned by archeology, it's not a war grave and it's not bolted down it's ok.

How about an option in the poll with something like the above?

Just curious...what would be the difference between a 'war grave' and simply a 'grave'?

As long as the wreck is not protected by law, I see no problem with it. I wouldn't personally buy any, but then I don't buy fossils either.

I bought a cup and saucer as a fund raiser from the third class china from the Doria. It was a benefit for SUDS, and I will never dive the Doria. I have it on display, I make no false pretenses about it, and it's a cool conversation piece. It's a little weird to have an artifact that I didn't collect myself, but, then, I don't really believe in collecting artifacts anyway.

I am not sure about it. My grandfather; who is the main reason I am a diver now; used to scrap ships and sink them as artificial reefs. Some were decommissioned Navy ships, some were old tankers, some were unknown. I do have a few old brass portholes, some brass and bronze ships lamps and some valves as well. I am very well aware of what I could "scrap" them for and would never do that. I even have a few 55 gallon drums filled with nuts and bolts made of a metal called inconel, it is a corrosion proof metal like stainless steel, but it gets big money when you cash it in. The nuts and bolts are more of a sentimental thing to me, but the portholes, lamps, and valves I just find to be "interesting" artifacts from the past.

Brent

When a wreck becomes one with the ocean then it should be fare game. As long as the remains of the dead remain with the wreck (including war graves), then all else should be available for salvage.
The law needs to be changed internationally.
If it is not recovered then it just becomes sediment. So...why not.

I would say it depends on the wreck. When it's a still standing wreck, it is a tomb, and in my mind should be respected as such. But once it reaches a point where it has naturally become more part of the ocean, than wreck, then artifacts are just that, artifacts can be useful as both archaeological data and as pieces of art.

Back
Top Bottom