New Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladydiver

Founder
Reaction score
Hi Folk,

Well, we just had another shark attack on a child. This one occurred at Sandbridge Beach in Virginia. Does anyone have any additional information on what happened?

From ABCNews.com

David Peltier was about 50 yards from shore in about four feet of water with his father, Richard Peltier, when he was attacked. He died shortly before 4 a.m. this morning at
Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters in Norfolk.

Here are some of the details as they are currently reported by ABC:

The attack occurred in Sandbridge Beach, a remote coastal community just south of Virginia Beach, at aboout 6 p.m. on Saturday. It's the latest in a spate of highly-publicized shark attacks this summer.

According to witnesses, the seven to nine-foot shark grabbed
David's left leg. The boy's father immediately went to help his son, hitting the shark on the head with his fists and trying to pry his mouth open.

The shark released the boy's leg after the father reportedly hit the shark in its eyes. David was then brought to the shore bleeding heavily from his severely injured leg.

Paramedics and lifeguards at the beach treated David before
he and his father were brought to the hospital.

Richard was treated for a hand injury that occurred while
trying to save his son.

I hope someone can provide some additional information on the details of this situation. Our prayers go out the family of this little boy.

Gosh LD,

My heart goes out to them too, and especially the dad. I am hoping that we can soon find a balanced way to view sharks. These magnificent beasts should not be viewed as either as the mindless killers of Jaws, nor as something to be ignored or even worse, treated as a pet in the wild.

Every time I swim with either my daughter or son, in fresh or salt water, I am petrified of what may happen to them. I try to give them as much latitude as I can, but I always find myself between them and any perceived dangers. Am I always in the right place to intercept danger? Probably not, but I try to be very observant. Obviously, this dad too, was quite close to be able to fight the shark before it had time to flee with his son.

The unfortunate part is that there are so many myths that surround sharks, and in my neck of the woods, gators as well. People think that there must be some sign when they are present. I even heard a lady say on the radio, that she knows an area is safe if she doesn't see any fins... and the reporter never corrected her! Alas, the tell tale fin happens more in the movies than in reality. In fact, 99% of the fins you see will be from a mammal, like a dolphin. Just as sharks attack primarily from below, the same can be said for gators. Their bottom time on one breath is amazing, and they are ambushers. As long as people freely mix in these environments, there will be accidents. Even more so when people rely on old wive’s tales to determine the presence of these marine predators.

We're always sad to hear of these cases. But as you said... "As long as people freely mix in these environments, there will be accidents."

This was not an attack. At least not in the vernacular it has come to mean. This was a shark doing what his species has done naturally for millions of years.

Though there is more media hype these days regarding shark attacks, the same story you mentioned, also talks about the fact that shark attacks are actually down this year. Bottom line here is that these animals are wild, and they can attack much the same way a dog, cat, monkey or even bunny rabbit can attack.

My heart goes out to the father and the rest of the little boys family and friends. It's always unfortunate to hear of such losses, but I'm sure it won't be the last one either :(

You're right, it's sad to hear of these incidents. And you're also right, sharks are just doing what sharks do. They're doing what they always do, only this summer, every time they do it, it makes the national news.

Like your family dog, the shark comes across something in its territory and it puts it in its mouth to see what it is. Unfortunately for swimmers and surfers, that mouth is full of very sharp teeth. What people don't seem to see through the hysteria is that these sharks aren't eating people. They're biting them and then letting go when they realize the swimmers aren't prey.

What's frustrating to me is that statistically, shark attacks are down from previous years. You would never know it from the media hysteria. You still have a much greater chance of being in an auto accident on the way to the beach than you do of being bitten by a shark.

Exercise some common sense, and your odds against an unfortunate meeting with a shark are reduced even further. Stay out of murky water. Don't swim at dusk. Look both ways when crossing the street. And cross your fingers, the national media will find something else to occupy them besides shark incidents! :)

Julie

I believe it was the first Shark Attack Fatality this year.

This death really is what scares me about shark feedings, I KNOW THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH FEEDINGS... however the fact that sharks seem to becomming more and more "comfortable" around humans scares me, because they can indeed kill you.

The boy died because the shark cut an artery. Even the smallest shark can cut an artery, and if your more than fifteen or so minutes from a hospital with blood, your going to be in big trouble.

Not a good way to go if you ask me. I can not imagine the pain his family must be feeling.

I have to admit, I've heard of more shark attacks this year than before..but we are pretty isolated in Guam..and I didn't know this board even existed last summer. So that may have something to do with it.

But, is it common for a shark that big to be in water that shallow on the east coast?

*looks at Mario..shakes her cotton tail, and bares her fangs* (and..speaking from experience..an attack from a pissed-off bunny rabbit IS pretty brutal!) :wink:

Yes, the sharks have always been there in the shallower waters. They go where the fish do, which is often shallower areas that are rich in nutrients.

I have known people who had jobs flying over both the Gulf and Atlantic coasts of Florida, and they both commented that they could regularly see sharks from the air -- often between swimmers/surfers and the beach.

I don't think that sharks are getting more comfortable around people. If they were, shark bites would be up from previous years. I just believe that the media is having a "slow news day" summer, and the sharks are getting a lot of extra attention becuase of it.

Julie

This particular one was a "bull shark". These are considered to be one of the most dangerous sharks. It is capable of survival in fresh water for short periods and is considered to be an opprotunist. Discover did a special on several species of sharks and rated this one as one of the most aggressive.

Check out this link to learn more.
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/cleucas.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom