New Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe DeSantis

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just recieved my new scuba equpment from leisurepro. It consists of a scubapro mk25/g250 reg setup, a r190 scubapro octo. and a scubapro mini vip3 gauge. I am a new diver and was wondering about putting the equipment together. I am clear on the HP and LP fittings and where all the equipment threads into these ports but was wondering about the orings. They appeared to be a little dry so I lubed them up with silicone oring lube (Trident brand). I did not goop it all over the rings, I simply gave them a thin coating. Was this correct? Also I used a crescent wrench to tighten the fittings to the 1st stage(just a little bit past hand tight). It seems as if this is pretty much straight forward and I feel comfortable to rent a tank and do a pool dive w/ buddy. Am I in the wrong or doing something stupid? BTW I did not remove the rings from the fittings before I lubed them......Thanks for any input:)

Sounds like you did it all the right way. One of the more common "wrongs" is overtightening those hoses to the first stage, which you didn't do by your post. Scubapro 's first stage works on ambient pressure that is why it has the holes in it to allow water in. A repair technician once told me to soak that first stage (not deep) in warm water for about 30 minutes after use in seawater. It is important to dissolve the salt crystals and rinse out any sand or other debris. If you don't, you run the risk over time of scoring the parts. I have noticed it paid off over the years when I take mine in for its annual servicing. Have fun and good luck.:shades:

That seems odd. I've never bought a regulator from Leisure Pro but I would think they would have assembled and adjusted it prior to sending it out.

James

The regulator was installed...I was talking about installing the octo, gauges and bc inflator hose...:)

Generally, lubrication of o-rings is needed for o-rings which contact moving parts - dynamic o-rings such as on the piston inside a first stage. The o-rings on the LP and HP hose fittings are static, and don't really need lube.

James Goddard once bubbled...
That seems odd. I've never bought a regulator from Leisure Pro but I would think they would have assembled and adjusted it prior to sending it out.

They will assemble everything, but you have to specially request it.

The ideal way to lube an o-ring is to place a tiny bit of silicone on your fingers and then rub the o-ring between them. If you can see silicone on the o-ring, you have too much on it.

I would also suggest it is a good idea to lube the o-rings on the lp and hp hoses as they do need to slide smoothly into contact with the reg when the hose is tightened. They don't see the same wear as the o-rings in the reg, but they do benefit from proper lubrication.

Back
Top Bottom