Can anyone comment on ground vs bonded Rx lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a custom Rx mask, and while I have found a lot of good advice by searching the forum there is one question that I can't find an answer to... how does a ground lens (eg Seavision) compare to lenses that are bonded to the existing mask lens? (eg prescriptiondivemasks.com)

I have seen many happy customers of both styles but if someone with experience in both could post some observations I would be appreciative. My instinct is to go with a ground lens, but if there's really no drawback to the bonded style then I have more options.

FYI my Rx is about -4, so I may need the high index lens material in a bonded mask. I don't think Seavision uses that stuff but I could be wrong.

Thanks for any input you may have!

I have both a Sherwood Magnum II mask with ground Rx lenses (Scuba Optics) and a Pro Ear mask with bonded optics (Prscription Masks). My Rx is similar to yours.

Can't say that I have noticed any difference between the two types of lenses in use.

With the Pro-Ear mask I got half lenses, with a distance correction in the top of each lens. The Sherwood mask has bifocal lenses. The magnification factor of water helps so much that I didn't really need the bifocal correction. I do have some astigmatism, but it's not a factor for me while diving. The size of the lenses in your mask will make a difference. If you have a single lens you will be limited to bonded optics. If you have large lenses, then they will accommodate bifocals better. The bonded lens has a significant step between the correcting lens and the mask lens.

Very helpful, thanks a million!

Back
Top Bottom