Need a little help from the locals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Chaser

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello my Floridian friends! I will be heading down to key largo on February 6th for some diving. Given the weather and your local knowledge of water temps, what type of exposure protection would you suggest? Is a 3mm full suit adequate or would I need to add a vest or core warmer? Thanks in advance for your help, looking forward to a little warm weather!

what type of exposure protection would you suggest?
Yes, always use protection.:rofl3:

Ok, my bad. We're going in mid-March, and we'll be bringing 3mm long wetsuits. That'll be fine for my family snorkeling. I get cold easier, so I'm even thinking to wear a vest too. But locals can tell you better.

I'd freeze to death in a 3mm. Your mileage may vary. Bring everything you have. It's easier to cool off if you get overheated by introducing some cold water into your suit than to warm up if you don't have enough neoprene.

This time of year, I wear my 5 mil every time I hit the water.

In my experience...the locals defer to 5mm's or 3mm full suits with a 3mm shortie over top like a "Farmer John" (and hoods and gloves!)

As a non local that gets down there fairly often (although not often enough for my tastes) I've gotten by with a 3mm full suit alone, and a hood if the water is a bit "nippy". I usually wear gloves anyway, I'm just used to them.

Personally, if you have the vest or core warmer, I'd take it along just in case. Better to have them then not!

My wife and I are in drysuits...(even in 72 degree cave country)

My wife and I are in drysuits...(even in 72 degree cave country)

Well if I'm ABLE to get out Sunday, we'll stipulate the dry suit...how much undergarment to wear is the key!

Last week the quarry at home was 38º from top to bottom:shocked2: Anything in the 70's works for me in my 3mm!

I'd KILL to be in 70+ degree water right now!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom