Side Mount Training Standards...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What are the various training standards for the training agencies for learning sidemount in penetration courses?

Are there any agencies that categorically oppose this? Are there some that are SM friendly?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking about learning how to sidemount dive in a cave or learning to cave dive in sidemount configuration? If it's the latter, it varies for the different agencies. Most require the instructor be a sidemount instructor. Then it's dependent on the agency. IANTD finally worded all of their cave course standards to allow cave training in sidemount. TDI and PSAI are vague but a waiver is fairly simple to get. NSS-CDS is supposedly in the process of revising their standards. What I always tell potential students is to ask instructors what configurations they can and are willing to teach in. And I tell them to ask how much recent sidemount experience that instructor has. There are many instructors who won't/can't teach in sidemount. There are also some instructors that have the proper certifications but haven't been in a sidemount rig in a few years. I also believe if the student is in sidemount, the instructor should also be in sidemount.

TDI has no objections to SM and I have an outline for Advanced Wreck in SM configuration on file.

The agency's take on SM in general is that it is simply an alternative kit configuration. Nothing more or less.

Some of us PREFER SM when we dive OC but it's a tool for a job; just like traditional North Florida Cave Kit is a tool for a job and not necessarily the be all and end all of gear configuration.

Thanks for the responses!

I agree with Steve... it's just another kit configuration. There are obviously two ways to look at side mount: mission or life style. If you need, or feel the need to get formal training in SM ways... do so!

Pete, Mike will be training this weekend with Paul Heinerth, but is also considering joining you for that weekend you posted in here yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianr33
I've never had any formal sidemount training. Am I going to die ?
03.gif

In your particular case, I doubt it! :coffee:

Congratulations !!!

Apparently this'll be a first. Most people do eventually die, from something, from the track records I've been reviewing at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom