Discussion on Full Face masks with communication systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Afishianado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are considering switching to full face masks with wireless communication systems. We are recreational divers and would enjoy the ability to communicate directly via voice. We understand the basic pros and cons of these setups but would like to hear from people who have used these and get feedback from them.

We like the idea of the demand type vs the constant supply type

We are aware of the models that allow for air source and regulator switching while wearing the mask and we prefer these. We are less inclined at this time to go with the models that have a separate mouth chamber and allow you to use any mask, these systems just seem too cumbersome.

Realistically, How difficult is it to change the regulator on the FF mask during use, in the water? in case you have an out of air situation or a primary 2nd stage failure

Last edited:
That would work for OOA situations but I guess you just have to remove the mask entirely if you have a 2nd stage failure

Most Full Face Masks that I have had dealings with (Scubapro, Neptune Nira II, AGA) have an integrated or attached regulator to the mask. In the case of FFM mask/reg failure, the safest and easiest option is to remove the FFM and switch to secondary or Octo regulator and carry a regular mask as back-up. There are gas switch blocks availible that allow you to switch to a secondary air source, but they are expensive and in the rare case of primary failure still wouldn't help. When I dive FFM I have my regular Octo and my regular mask in a BC pocket. I think that trying to switch actual regs (either through a quick disconnect, or some type of manual swap to the mask) would be task overloading and dangerous. You would have to hold your breath, probably flood the mask, get the attachment/switch over right and then clear the FFM, then start breathing again. If you do start diving a FFM, switching to a regular mask and Octo reg should be practiced and come easily, we do it in our PSD training and if all else fails you can surface without a mask. For all the FFM that are availible out there I think the OTS Guardian is one of the better out there (wish I had the money for one) It uses a standard LP hose that comes off the right side of the mask (instead of the left-side non-standard size hose on the AGA) there are many color options and OTS has been in the UW coms biz for a long time. I also have a set of OTS Buddy Phones with the Duck-bill mouth attachments that work fine. As with any of these it takes a little getting used to, some practice, and be prepared to increase your air consumption for the talking as well as the added air volume of the mask. If you find a mask that you can use your own reg with, you will probably need to de-tune it a little because with the increased mask volume most regs want to almost free-flow. Another option to look at is push to talk over voice activated works better for wireless comms, and it's not as clear as having a regular walkie-talkie or phone conversation. Keep messages short and slow other wise you just get a garbled mess and spend most of your time wasted on what-ting each other back and forth. Hope this Helps.

Great info, thanks

I spoke with John at OTS yesterday. A great source of information. I really think I want some of these.

Great info Jason!

Afishianado, You might want to also look at Ocean Reef as an option.

Pete

I have two Guardians with comms and I carry an extra RX-100 receive only phone. I use this if I'm diving with other non-FFMs so I can talk to (not with) them.

DSC_0088.jpg

I use a regular Octo setup and would surface with it if I had some kind of failure. Removing the FFM is no more difficult than pulling off a regular mask.

Capt Pete, I have looked into the Ocean Reef as well, I like the style of it very much but haven't gotten much review type info on it yet. Do you have enough experience with the Ocean Reef to make a Pro/Con list or compare/contrast the Ocean Reef with the OTS Guardian?

Have you looked at teh Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask? You don't need a second mask for regulator switches and out of air emergencies. You can also use any regulator you want with it, thus saving money by using that which you have.

Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Full Face Masks | M-48

The M-48 is a great choice for a mask with a switch block. However, the comms don't fit into it quite as well, and not to mention that you have a mouthpiece in your mouth, and when you talk, it sounds like it. Let me say that our team member who dives the M48 is sometimes very difficult to understand.

I have a Guardian FFM, and the wireless comms work flawlessly with that mask.

You need to decide what your priority for the mask. Communication, or ability to have redundancy and a backup regulator. Personally, I don't let the need to baliout influence which mask I use. If I'm doing a dive where I need communications, and it's not a decompression dive, I prefer the Guardian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom