Anna Maria Island late March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murdrcycle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am considering a trip to Anna Maria Island in late March. I was wondering if there was any decent local diving and what type of water conditions to expect for that time of year. I saw the posts on the sugar barge and Spanish Rocks, but I am not familiar enough with the geography of the area to tell if any other spots are close or not. I am interested in both shore and boat diving, so any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Those are the 2 places on the island for shore diving. (And sugar barge is hardly a dive) Venice (sharks toothing) is only 30 mins south. Boat diving is easy, as Blue Water Explorers goes out of Cortez which is right at Anna Maria. Good trips to some reefs, wrecks, and ledges. We're not quite as colorful as the east coast, and conditions vary. Somedays, 60 feet, some days 10. Depends on where and when, and there's no science to it. (sometimes a site will have crappy vis, and you move a few hundred yards and it's great.)

I'm guessing we'll see 72-75 by then maybe a little more if we're lucky. But it's been a wacky winter. In the summer we can see 85-90. Right now it's 55 close in, but heard it was 68 the other day at 100 feet well offshore.

There's diving off Tamps (1-1.5 hours away depending on where) Crystal River is 2.5 hours away, and the springs (cave country) are 4. so there You can also make it to the east coast in 3 to WPB area, and 4/4.5 to Key Largo. So everything is within reach.

Those are the 2 places on the island for shore diving. (And sugar barge is hardly a dive) Venice (sharks toothing) is only 30 mins south.

Are there dive shops that run regular trips to these? I don't have a buddy. I'm OW. Are these dives appropriate for me? Thanks!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom