diving in the florida keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckey45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
okay fellow divers,, heres my problem, I have a group of about 10 people wanting to for go to the keys in june,with only about 4 of us divers. I am looking for a 3 star or better hotel, with a dive shop in close proximity, and oh yeah,, taking my girls with us this year, and wanting to introduce them both to diving. So I guess my question is, can someone familiar with the keys recommend an area to stay.. I guess with the girls going this year I would prefer shallow reef type dives, and give them something to really get them excited about diving,, along with some more advanced type diving for the rest of us,,, I have thought about key west or key largo,, but not knowing a thing about the keys, I'll have to defer to a local divers wisdom ,, thanks

Key West is pretty much it for topside activities. There are plenty of shallow dives there and also the vandenburg. My last dive in key west I saw 2 nurse sharks, a turtle and an eagle ray all in about 30' of water, so despite what people will say about key west vs. the northern keys key west isn't that bad and the topside activities are a lot of fun. I dove with Capt's corner in Key west, there's also a very large dive shop about 1/2 block away although I forgot the name of it. In Key West I recommend staying at one of the smaller bed n breakfasts on the northern side of the island. I've pretty much stayed at all of them and have no complaints, although the Hyatts are very nice too!

Key West is pretty much it for topside activities. There are plenty of shallow dives there and also the vandenburg. My last dive in key west I saw 2 nurse sharks, a turtle and an eagle ray all in about 30' of water, so despite what people will say about key west vs. the northern keys key west isn't that bad and the topside activities are a lot of fun. I dove with Capt's corner in Key west, there's also a very large dive shop about 1/2 block away although I forgot the name of it. In Key West I recommend staying at one of the smaller bed n breakfasts on the northern side of the island. I've pretty much stayed at all of them and have no complaints, although the Hyatts are very nice too!

The very large dive shop is Diver's Direct. There is also South Point Divers within walking distance of the Hyatt. Both Captain's Corner and Southpoint enjoy a good reputation, but Southpoint docks at the Hyatt, Sea Eagle (Captain's Corner boat) is about a city block away.

The very large dive shop is Diver's Direct. There is also South Point Divers within walking distance of the Hyatt. Both Captain's Corner and Southpoint enjoy a good reputation, but Southpoint docks at the Hyatt, Sea Eagle (Captain's Corner boat) is about a city block away.

That's the one. I tried to dive with south point but they weren't going out the day I was diving. If you stay at the hyatt at the Marina I'd definitely try to dive with them. (Also a VERY nice hotel BTW). If you stay at any of the other Hyatt's (one near smathers, one when you first come onto the island) you'll need a rental car or cab it to the bars. The Hyatt at the Marina is within walking distance.

The Marriott is nice and has an on site dive operation. It is in Key Largo. The diving there is very good for beginners but "its a dive" dive shop also can run a fast boat to some of the wrecks.

They also have a small man made sandy beach, pool and I believe jet skis. Key West is within day trip distance for non divers.

Has your group considered Cozumel? Nice place as well.

When I introduced my son to salt water a while back, we did a few days in Key Largo and then a couple of days in Key West.

I would recommend the Marriott in Key Largo, and although they have a dive shop at the hotel, I would highly recommend Horizon Divers, just down the road at Mile Marker 100. Not a whole lot of topside activities in Key Largo, but the diving is the best.

Down at Key West, there are plenty of great hotels and lots of topside activities. There is shallow diving in Key West, but Largo has them beat. We were diving the Vandy, and used Subtropic Dive shop who did a great job.

Key Largo to Key West is only a 2 hour ride, split the trip up and get the best of the underwater world and the best of the topside.

Have fun.....

okay fellow divers,, heres my problem, I have a group of about 10 people wanting to for go to the keys in june,with only about 4 of us divers. I am looking for a 3 star or better hotel, with a dive shop in close proximity, and oh yeah,, taking my girls with us this year, and wanting to introduce them both to diving. So I guess my question is, can someone familiar with the keys recommend an area to stay.. I guess with the girls going this year I would prefer shallow reef type dives, and give them something to really get them excited about diving,, along with some more advanced type diving for the rest of us,,, I have thought about key west or key largo,, but not knowing a thing about the keys, I'll have to defer to a local divers wisdom ,, thanks

Key Largo is the place for diving, by a large, large, LARGE margin. If you want the night life, wild stuff, alternate (San Francisco) life style, drugs, freaks, anything goes stuff for your girls, take 'em to Key West. They'll get education enough for a life time. And maybe decide that's for them. Key West has lots of great hotels and lodging. K.W. also has a couple of dive ops and a couple of places to dive. (I been to two county fairs and a fire and I ain't never seen the likes of Key West.) Key Largo also has many good places to stay. And more quality dive ops and sites than you'd believe. See Becky ('speargirl' here on S.B.), Ocean Point Suites, Moonbay Condos, Marriott, Ramada, etc. for lodging.

Very good - and true - post above by F106A -

Key West is much better for a unique topside experience - but the diving does not compare to Key Largo and Islamorada - and they are not close to each other - maybe 150 miles of 2 lane slow road (US 1).

If you want to dive, and get instruction, check w/ Conch Republic, or Silent World in the Key Largo area -

Your challange will be KW is much better for non divers - not as much for them to do in the upper Keys - but Key Largo had much better diving.

(From a 30 year S. FL resident)

I been to two county fairs and a fire and I ain't never seen the likes of Key West.
Best.Quote.Ever. :rofl3: Mind if I borrow it for my signature?

Key West is much better for a unique topside experience - but the diving does not compare to Key Largo and Islamorada - and they are not close to each other - maybe 150 miles of 2 lane slow road (US 1).
Rob, it only FEELS like 150 miles. :shocked2: Actually Mile Mark 0 is in Key West. Coming up the Overseas Highway, Marathon, the "heart" of the Keys, is MM50. "Downtown" Key Largo is at MM100. Just about the last bit of civilization in the Upper Keys is Gilbert's at MM108; not much between there and the mainland but a marina or two.

There is PLENTY for non-divers to do in Key Largo, depending on what they enjoy.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom