Red Sea Defender Research Vessel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Shadow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Defender.jpg

I had to rub my eyes a couple times - I could swear I've dove off that boat, because it looks identical to the Tala.

??? Did the Red Sea Explorers sell the boat?

All the best, James

As a marine ecologist, let me offer my congratulations on the creation of this research vessel and its mission to provide scientific information to help understand and conserve the Red Sea!

Don't know if it IS the TALA but, while we were there in October, talks were occurring between Faisal, Andrew and HEPCA. It was my understanding that they were looking at setting up a lease of the boat for periods of time and that divers would be encouraged to book time when under HEPCA lease to work as research divers.

But I have no idea whether this idea came to fruition....

Andrew is AG, yes and Lynne (TSandM) heard from Faisal that the contract under discussion when we were there was completed. The Tala is still available at times and HEPCA will also be working off her.

Hmmmm, when to return.....

Yes, as we discussed in October, they will be running research projects off the boat, and it will be possible for qualified divers to participate -- Faisal said he'd send me the information when it's available. Between research outings, the boat will still be running Red Sea Explorers tours. I was very relieved to hear that. We had an absolutely WONDERFUL experience living on and diving off that boat last year, and I was distressed to think it would not be possible for others to get to do what we did.

I'm looking forward to the information on the research trips. I think it would be a great mixture of fun and accomplishment to participate in some data gathering to help protect the fantastic ecosystem that is the Red Sea.

Back
Top Bottom