Can anyone report on Morrison vis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aucilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After all this hard rain, I am wondering if it would be a waste of time to travel to Morrison Springs this weekend . . . . Has anyone been there in the last day or two? Is it blown? How about Vortex? Would Manatee Springs almost have to be good vis?

Thanks for any help or advice.... :)

If you post this in the Deep Dixie forum you will get more responses, since Morrison Springs is in the Deep Dixie area. I live in Pensacola and I am very familiar with Morrison as I live in the Deep Dixie area. Morrison Springs conditions have been blown out for some time now and the recent rains have made it even worse. Don't even bother trying to dive it, Morrison is flooded. Vortex Springs should be just fine. I am not sure how Manatee Springs is effected by the rain as I have never dove it.

I just checked the Choctawhatchee river gauge. When the Choctawhatchee River levels are up it effects Morrison springs. Normally if the Choctawhatchee river is in the five foot range Morrison is a decent dive. When it is below three feet it is a pristine dive. Right now the river levels as of 1-24-10 at 19:04 is 14.35 feet!!!! I don't even have to drive over there to tell you that Morrison looks like black coffee right now.

Here is a link to the river gauge for Morrison Springs Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Tallahassee: Choctawhatchee River at Caryville

Thanks much for this! I have been out of action for much of the last year, and that includes on this Board; so I appreciate all of information AND suggestions. Thanks for teaching as well as informing. :) This weekend, I was rained out as it was, anyway; and that is a good thing as I am sure the river level is even higher now.

Walter nailed it on the head with the water level. Here's the link to look at the river levels for Morrison conditions. I was at Vortex today teaching and conditions weren't that great. It was a hazy 15' of visibility and it wasn't the OW students that affected it.

I see you're cavern trained. Merritt's Mill Pond in Marianna is almost always great. Jackson Blue, Twin, and Shangri-La all have great cavern zones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom