Bull Bugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
K I saw a picture of some guy from Fla holding up a picture of a bull bug. It is highly frowned up here in California to take the big bull bugs as they are to big for the traps and have very few predators when they that big. Just curious how many here think it is appropriate to take the big bull bugs. I feel that those should be left in the ocean so that they can create more of the smaller ones.

I have never heard the term "Bull Bug", but I am assuming you are talking about big whopper Spiny Lobster in the 6-8 pound plus weight class.
I do not take the monsters, and I rarely see them.
I have had several conversations with people who are supposedly in the know, and I am told we still have a good supply of bugs here in the Gulf and on the East Coast, and no worries in taking them.
Seems kinda' counterintuitive to me but we do not seem to be running out, so they may be right as far as we here in Florida go.
Not Sure...
Chug
Eats Saltwater Crayfish

I don't have any opinions about regulations in Cali as I am ignorant of the conditions there,further I do not base my views on pictures I see on the internet.

It is my informed opinion that the Atlantic Coast population of lobster from Daytona to NC is healthy and according to information contained in Martin Moe's book

Lobsters Florida Bahamas the Caribbean ISBN 0-939960-06-0

that the population is safe from many aspects of overharvest by the depths and conditions they reside in.Also that the eggs of the N.Florida,Georgia,S. and N. Carolina bugs are basically wasted as they drift into waters to cool for the larvae to develop and that the habitat is not conducive to juvenile lobster survival in any case.This is supported by years of research.

Just curious how many here think it is appropriate to take the big bull bugs. I feel that those should be left in the ocean so that they can create more of the smaller ones.

Lobsters grow in size by a process called molting. As they increase in size they also slow down their movements and frequently develop barnacles and growths. Just like our senior citizens don't "create" too many new babies, still too little is unknown about all the mating habits at various life cycles of a lobster's life. To say that big bugs should not be harvested is uninformed, when populations are proven to be healthy.

I invite you to visit Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to learn more about Florida's fisheries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom