My first setup/ You're thoughts please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins1

Registered
Reaction score
Reg Scubapro MK25/s600 R390 octo
BC Ranger ltd
Mask Tusa Visualtor
Wetsuit Harvey's 5/3 Kobalt Proflex 1pc
Computer Suunto Cobra Air/Nitrox Air intergrated w/ quick disconnect
6ft inflatable sausage
Save a dive kit
whistle

Fins, I'm trying to decide between Atomic splits, SP twin jet splits, Oceanic vortex splits. Any help or comments would be appreciated. Also need advice on boots, knife , light, and a reasonable dive watch. Did I forget anything?

Thanks in advance. Komi

Any particular reason why you want to dive with only split fins? From that list, the Twin Jets are probably the best, however the classic Jet fins really can't be beat.

A dive watch wouldn't be bad for redundant timing, but your computer will do that for you so it's not a real necessity. I just dive with a regular Timex.

I have the same computer that you do and I also carry a backup SPG in case it fails.

:boom:

Dangerous question.

Here's what you're gonna hear, not nessarily my opinions:

Regs great.

Rangers bulky, if you like the brand try the Scout or Escape. (bp/w left out on purpose)

Mask is personal choice.

Wetsuit same.

Computer: Vytec or Vyper

Other stuff: good for you.

Fins: Scubapro Jet fins with spring straps.

I'm sure the can of worms is fully open now, try not to get all slimy

:D

John brings up a point about the computer. Lots of people prefer wrist computers and don't like consoles. I think it's a personal preference as well. I carry my console on a retractor, hanging from the D ring on my right shoulder. Because of it's location, it doesn't dangle and it's very easy to access and read.

Reference the mask: I have a Visualator and really like it. The field of vision out of it is better than any mask I've ever worn. The bad thing about it is that it's really big.

I originally asked you about why you wanted to dive with spits because I wanted to know whether or not you have tried them out before. Some people love them and others hate them. You should try diving with splits first to see if you like them. If you do, go with the Twin Jets. If not, go with the Jets.

Patrick, Heard split fins are easier to kick. I have a bad knee. I won't be able to try them.
The watch i want for redundancy.
Thought about a wrist mount computer but they just seem way to bulky. How do you like it? I 'm also putting it on a retractor. Thanks
Spare SPG is a good idea.

Easier to kick? That is debatable. It's true that they work well for flutter kicks, but if you use any other type of kick it will be an exercise in futility. IMO, the more rigid the split fin is, the better it will perform.

Go down to the Fins area in the Equipment Section and do a search for 'split fins.' You'll probably get a lot more information than you want (and a lot of conflicting opinions), but it will help you decide.

I have Tusa split fins and I also have Jets. Like I said, the splits are good in certain situations but for an all-purpose fin, the Jet really can't be beat.

I like my console computer. I wanted something with air integration and the only way to do that with a wrist mount is to spend about double the money. Plus there is a wireless transmitter that sends the signal to the computer...just creates additional ways of malfunction.

fins1 once bubbled...
Reg Scubapro MK25/s600 R390 octo
BC Ranger ltd
Mask Tusa Visualtor
Wetsuit Harvey's 5/3 Kobalt Proflex 1pc
Computer Suunto Cobra Air/Nitrox Air intergrated w/ quick disconnect
6ft inflatable sausage
Save a dive kit
whistle

Fins, I'm trying to decide between Atomic splits, SP twin jet splits, Oceanic vortex splits. Any help or comments would be appreciated. Also need advice on boots, knife , light, and a reasonable dive watch. Did I forget anything?

Thanks in advance. Komi

I keep hearing about this "Save a Dive Kit" but don't know what it is? Can any one reveal this mystery?

=-)

My save a dive kit is a medium sized toolbox with:

Crecent wrench
Pumbers wrench
Vice grips
Utility knife
Allen key set
Barbeque lighter
A few feet of bungee cord
A few feet of cave line
Packadge of zip ties
Assorted o-rings
Silicone grease
Bateries
First stage plugs
Zipper wax
Talc
Tri-Glides
Weght belt buckle
Mask Strap
Reg mouth peaice

Regarding Dive Watches...........:

I personally use an Omega Seamaster Pro Chrono, which is great if perhaps a little pricey.... however a dive buddy of mine has a DOXA Sub 300T which is probably the ultimate divers timepiece.

For info follow the link below

Regards,

Dirk

http://www.doxa.at/seahunter_specs.htm

Seems like you have a fairly normal first-set-up....

HAve you bought all this stuff yet?

1 thing I'd lose off the bat is the whistle....the thing is totally useless in the water...and you have a Surface Marker Bouy already.

As for fins, I hate split fins....I have never liked split fins and probably never will.

I would suggest a one-piece fin, my next set of fins is probably going to be a 1 piece with more stiffness than my 30$ Tusa's

For those interested in a Save a dive kit, there are a few threads that have previously discussed this.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20449&highlight=saveadive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom