Diving locations in Michigan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bob663emtp

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of some good diving locations in Michigan?
I'm looking for both inland locations and in the great lakes.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hello bob, i live about 100 miles north of you in alcona county. there are plenty of sites to visit in northern mich. HIGGINS lake is not far from you and it is a modestly deep lake with warmer water and a few sunken treasures to be dove upon. farther north is TRAVERSE BAY and a few locations there too,call SCUBA NORHTH for dive info. then there is THUNDER BAY MARINE SANCTUARY lots of ships to dive here too from basic to tech and the STRAITS area offers some good diving and not a lot of boat time to reach them, the temps there last week were, on the EBER WARD 50f at 120 and on the SANDUSKY slightly warmer at 85 ft. there are many places to dive in our great lakes state even river impoundments are fun and sometimes the most enjoyable. if you ever make it to Oscoda you need to dive FOOTE POND it is a river impoundment on the Ausable river and has a lot to offer divers as well as boaters and fisherpersons. hope this helps point you in the right direction, have fun .
sam

Howdy,

Check out this site:

http://www.execpc.com/~bbaillod/links.html

I dive in the Straits and Whitefish Bay a lot, but have been to the Manitou Islands, Alpena, Keweenaw, Munising, and the Thumb. The Straits are my overall favorite, but my favorite wreck lies in Whitefish Bay.

What kind of diving are you looking at doing (rec or tech)? Any specific area in mind? I can probably talk for hours about diving in Michigan (especially the Northern part).

Mike

Bob,

I'm a Shields native currently living in East Lansing. I'm also writing a guide to inland diving in Michigan that will be published in a map form next fall. If you're looking for Great Lakes sites, the Straits, Thunder Bay and Munising are my favorite. The Straits and Thunder Bay can be dived comfortably in a wet suit from June to early October and both have regular charter operators you can get on almost any weekend.

As far as inland sites, the farther north you go in the state the better they are generally in terms of visibility. However, there are some sites close to you that won't cost you $75 for a charter like most Great Lakes dives. Oasis Lake park just west of Standish and Lake Fenton just south of Flint come to mind. Haithco Park off of I-675 in Saginaw Township is sometimes diveable though visibility and depth tend to vary. If you e-mail me at bradymsu@yahoo.ie, I can give you directions to the first two sites. I'm sure you know how to get to Haithco. Give me a hollar if you're looking for a safe and attitude free dive buddy no matter what level you're at.

If you're adventerous, I'd suggest buying a DeLorme atlas from Meijers and going to lakes around the area with public access sites. You'll find bad vis at a lot of them but often you can find hidden gems as well, especially in the spring and fall. Matt at the Diver's Berth on Delta Road can also offer you suggestions. He runs a dive club in Saginaw that you may want to join. He knows his stuff.

-Brady

Here's a book that might interest you. It should be in most bigger book stores.

Shipwrecks of the Straits of Mackinaw

By Dr. Charles E. Feltner & Jeri Baron Feltner

There's another book with all the preserves, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the house here for the specifics.

If you're down by Flint, there's some dandy wrecks in the Sanilac preserve. The tug, Mary Alice B, sits pretty in 90' of water. If your more advanced, make sure you get to the Dunderberge (150' or so) in the Thumb preserve -- premo wreck.

Mike

Thank you for all of the input. I actually know where oasis lake and foote site are I used to work in Arenac and Iosco counties as a paramedic. I have been diving in higgins and bear lake.I was just wondering if there was anyplace I had not thought of. Thank you again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom