ScubaPro MK17 vs MK25 with A700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cylonboomer

Registered
Reaction score
HEY GUYS!

I'm real close to deciding on regs, but I have a question on which first stage to buy.

Here's my situation...

I live in texas, and in the winter plan to dive from texas/oklahoma to florida. I think the coldest water will be around 45F. (I just got a dry suit) I'll be doing a lot of summer diving local, and hit the caribbean as much as i can.

So that's my story...now the real question. Would a first stage MK17 or MK25 be the better option?

Thanks for all your insights!

Boomer

For 45F I would recommend the MK17, however make sure you buy a decent balanced second stage (G250,S600,A700) otherwise is a waste
The Mk25 would have superior performance in cold water around 180 ft but maybe you don't go there anyway

Thanks for responding so quickly!...I plan on getting the A700 second stage. Would the MK25 freeze up at 45F? Those dives would probably be very few, but that would probably be the max. I think about 150F probably the lowest. Most of the cold water diving is around 50+....

So...Mk 17 or Mk 25 paired with an A700?

Where in Texas are you from? I have an MK25/A700 and dove in low 50*F water at 70'. I typically like to go deeper but I was diving wet and got cold. I know of folks that are diving MK25/S600 to 100'+ this time of year, and I have not heard of problems so far. I would talk to your local Scubapro dealer and ask them

I would recommend the MK25/A700, not because I have 2 of them, because they are great performing second stages. I also notice the air coming from the A700, is not as cold as the S600. I have been told that is because the second is metal not plastic, better thermoconductivity. The new S600 looks pretty good too.

I dive the MK25/G250V in Lake Erie in the low 40's. I have MK17's on my deco cylinders. I'll be taking the MK25's beneath the ice in a couple weeks.
Take away any thermal considerations. I doubt you would notice any difference in the breathing. One consideration is if you dive in dirty water a diaphragm will be a bit wiser.

Recently I just purchased new regs. I just got certified, and live in MN. I plan in the near future to start diving under the ice, and since lakes are cold here in MN pretty much all summer, I wanted a reg that I could use in warm water while on vacation and home in MN. I talked to people from several different shops and the overall opinion was to buy the MK 17. It has a balanced diaphram and is enviromentally sealed. I went with the G250V second stage, so far I love it. I would imagine the A700 would be similar to the G250V.

Thanks for responding so quickly!...I plan on getting the A700 second stage. Would the MK25 freeze up at 45F? Those dives would probably be very few, but that would probably be the max. I think about 150F probably the lowest. Most of the cold water diving is around 50+....

So...Mk 17 or Mk 25 paired with an A700?

I know some people even ice dive here with MK25 if tuned properly and using proper handling techniques I think you can still do it. Not that something I would recommend but I think for 45 MK25 should be ok . Though to be on the safe side I would go for 17.

You'll be fine either way. 45 is not that cold for reg freezing. I don't know where you'll find water that cold in TX to be honest.

The other day I was diving in aquarena and a guy swam by with the A700 in his mouth on a miflex long hose with another A700 bungied on a necklace. I was sorely tempted to ask him to share air so I could check out the A700. I was breathing on a converted 109. Sort of old-meets-new.

Most of my dives are done in Michigan and I went with the MK17/G250V setup. I have 8 dives in the 41-45F range, 9 at the 46-50F, 22 from 51-60F, 15 between 61-76F, and 14 at 77-80F. I've never experienced a free flow and am very happy with my choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom