Looking for some insider advice-not about diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm working in Montreal for a scientific congress in April. I will have portions of time to play around the city, not whole days, but half days. I've never visited the city. Anyone care to recommend their favorite "off of the beaten path" areas to explore? Or anything that is "on the beaten path" that you think I shouldn't miss? Favorite restaurants, unique shopping areas, great music clubs, art, etc. I favor character over grandeur any day.

I will be staying at the Fairmont (I know, poor me) which I understand it pretty centrally located.

Thanks in advance.

You should go to Mount Royal. There are walking trails if that interests you and the weather is good, otherwise there's a road that leads almost right up to a lookout point with good views of downtown.

I'm sure others will chime in with their 2 cents, but I hope you enjoy your free time while you're here.

Hello Lulubelle.

Montréal is a very welcoming city. Its mix of French culture in a North American territory makes it a unique place... There is plenty to do and restaurants are among the best in the world.

From the top of my head, here's things you should do while you are in Montréal:

For clubing, if you like live music and Salsa: go at club Cubanos Cubano's Club Cubano Salsa

For vegi meals, try the spirite lounge. A weird little place where they won't give you dessert unless you eat all of you main course... Better make a reservation and they only accept cash...
Spirite Lounge - The Gay Village - Montreal - Vegetarian & Vegan Restaurants | OurFaves.com

Althouth not ''off the beaten path'', while you are in Montréal, you have to go to Schatz's for their famous cornedbeef sandwich.
Schwartz's - Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen - A Montreal Tradition Since 1928

As far as shoping is concerned, well it all depends on style. If you are kind of classic, try Eaton center
Centre Eaton De Montreal

If you are a little less conservative, then Simon's is a sure bet
La maison Simons - Accueil

Finally, Montréal is also well known for it's strip joints :wink: ... A very well known male strip club is ''Club 281''.

Should you need more info, just PM me. I'll be glad to help.

It's been a while since I've been in Montreal, but I enjoyed an area called Prince Arthur Street (?). It was blocked to vehicular traffic. There were a lot of out door cafes featuring mines, strolling musicians, comics and so forth. I think they still operate in the winter but inside the eating establishments.

Art

Thanks everyone, these all sound like great spots for me!

Je ne parle Francais...:(

Je ne parle PAS francais :wink:

Thanks toastman, I'm not surprised, last time I took French was in 2nd grade, and that one year was it. I can still sing the French national anthem and ask to go to the restroom,but that is the extent of it.

Make sure you head out to Old Montreal. Although very commercial, you can wander around away from tourists and get amazing views of the city and the St. Lawrence river surrounding it. April is too early for our "festivals" season but that also means less people walking around. Let me know if I can be of any help. Don't worry about not talking French... Montreal is very bilingual :)

couldnt agree more! old montreal was amazing when i stayed there! and definetly check out the biodome that was cool too!

Back
Top Bottom