Putting on a wetsuit [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Putting on a wetsuit

Sponsored Link

gusfedgar
January 29th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Hi I would like to receive input on how to make it easier to put on a 7mm wetsuit, when wet or sweaty, thanks to all of you for your answers. I recently bought a Scubapro 7mm FormII

roturner
January 29th, 2010, 11:34 AM
What, exactly, are you finding difficult?

R..

scubaren
January 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Use a dive skin under it. I never have a problem that way.

bleeb
January 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I don't mean to make like of the OP's (Original Poster's) question, but for your amusement, you might want to have a look at this thread: Close call in the dressing room (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/140626-close-call-dressing-room.html)

ColinB
January 29th, 2010, 12:07 PM
This thread has some helpful suggestions.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/298652-help-problem-getting-into-out-new-suit.html

For my 7mm Insta dry, which I find really tough to slip into, I use the children's hair conditioner in a squirt bottle, which makes it slide on easily.

-c

Hank49
January 29th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I resigned myself to being whacked on the side of my face pulling my sleeves up. Right hand on left sleeve (and vice versa)....slip...."WHACK" on the left side of my face. It wakes me up for the dive.

Adaveke
January 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hi I would like to receive input on how to make it easier to put on a 7mm wetsuit, when wet or sweaty, thanks to all of you for your answers. I recently bought a Scubapro 7mm FormII

sunscreen is your friend.
I think any greasy lotion will do the trick.
We used to have a lot of problems getting in to our 7mm suits at home. On vacation we noticed that it went a lot easier, this started me thinking what am I doing different? Result: in rainy cold Belgium I never wear sunscreen...

WartedEmperor
January 31st, 2010, 01:04 AM
Don't do anything that involves lotions cause that will damage your neoprene and make your suit not last as long. I recommend using baby powder and pitting it inside the suit then you can slip into it alot easier.

joe8mofo
January 31st, 2010, 01:36 AM
I resigned myself to being whacked on the side of my face pulling my sleeves up. Right hand on left sleeve (and vice versa)....slip...."WHACK" on the left side of my face. It wakes me up for the dive.

This is funny as I have actually given myself a fat lip putting on my 7mm.

plastic shopping bags will do the trick for putting on your 7mm suit, just wrap them around your hands and feet and it slides right on. I have yet to find a better method.

dumpsterDiver
January 31st, 2010, 02:21 AM
Dive skins can help, baby shampoo can help if you use a lot of it, but as mentioned above, probably the simplest is to use thin plastic grocery bags over feet and some people also use them for their hands.

Put the bag over your foot, slip the foot through the wetsuit, remove the bag, do the other foot and then repeat for the hands if those are a problem. It works very well, but the bags will tear after a few times, but they are free.

Adaveke
January 31st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Don't do anything that involves lotions cause that will damage your neoprene and make your suit not last as long. I recommend using baby powder and pitting it inside the suit then you can slip into it alot easier.

Does sunscreen lotion really damage neoprene? :shocked2:

Pearldiver07
January 31st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Any lotions that contain petroleum based products can ruin your suit.

DON'T use talc or other powders in the situation you describe. If you're wet it will simply turn into a paste.

I personally don't prefer a skin, as the material will allow water to leach up through the skin, losing some of the seal that you're looking for to stay warm in cooler waters.

Baby shampoo is great, but my personal favorite is KY. You only need it on forearms and portions of the legs where the suit is hanging up.

It is non-toxic and since it is water soluble it rinses away.

Anyway, lots of input in this thread. Try some of them.

sdiver68
January 31st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Ankle and arm zippers can have their cons, but a pro is ease of entry.

drbill
January 31st, 2010, 11:18 AM
I've used hair conditioner but have wondered about the effects of it on marine life. Do NOT use sunscreen as many of the formulations have been shown to cause harm to the reefs (at least in tropical areas). A plastic bag may be the most environmentally safe way to don yours... IF you don't put it in the trash or let it blow away afterwards.

scubafanatic
January 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM
.......these 2 things will make life a LOT easier on you:

1) buy a wetsuit with zippers on the wrist and ankle areas

2) use 'dive socks' ....which I think are one of the greatest things since sliced bread! .....they keep ones feet from getting any blisters....and as a bonus they make getting ones legs to slide down a wetsuit WAY....WAY...WAY easier ! (and BTW, there really are dedicated dive socks, not just plain socks used for diving....get the real thing!)

scubafanatic
January 31st, 2010, 11:42 AM

....yes......destroy your wetsuit... AND......poison the marine ecosystem ! :shakehead:

Adaveke
January 31st, 2010, 12:34 PM
....yes......destroy your wetsuit... AND......poison the marine ecosystem ! :shakehead:

I don't think mine will do much damage to the marine ecosystem as it says eco friendly on the bottle. Still getting me a bit worried there. :depressed:

Amphibious
January 31st, 2010, 02:30 PM

the only way to put on a freediving suit is with motion-lotion. the only time I've replaced suits is due to large tears...

SteveTW
January 31st, 2010, 04:15 PM
I use "SuitJuice". My instructor had it out for all to use for our OW training dives and got hooked on it. It helps with my 5ml gloves too.

RJP
January 31st, 2010, 04:30 PM

Marine life too.

:depressed:

Jax
January 31st, 2010, 05:19 PM
:confused: I dive 7mm all the time . . .

Turn your suit legs inside out except the last 4-6".
Making sure the front is looking at you, pull on a leg and position it (the zipper) where it should be.
Roll the suit up the leg above the knee.
Repeat with the other side.
Adjust to be sure the knee pads are in the right spots.
Keep rolling all the way up.
Can do arms the same way, but I find I can slip them on fairly easily.

Atomic_Diver
January 31st, 2010, 05:21 PM
Try some lube?...lol idk...

Amphibious
January 31st, 2010, 05:42 PM
Marine life too.

:depressed:

some how I think danglies and piss poor buoyancy, common place in today's "divers", do significantly more harm...

Layla
April 4th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Be careful with talc as it gets in the zips of the dry suit divers on your boat :no:

On the two occassions that I chose to take a wet suit on my tropical liveaboard instead of my dry suit, I would apply hair conditioner to my legs shoulders and the suit would slide on quite nicely :D

or, get a dry suit and you won't need any lube :shocked2:

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1