Any diving around Phoenix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Although I probably already know the answer to this question, considering it is in the middle of the desert, I thought I would ask. I will be headed to PHX for a short week the end of Feb. My wife will be at a conference. Is there any diving worth bringing my gear across the country for? I can dive local no-viz, cold quarries her in NC, so I really am not just looking for an excuse to get wet. Is there any diving in the area, if so, is it worth the airline hassles?

Lake Pleasant just north of town is pretty much the only local option. But it's cold now (mountain-fed) and often low-viz lake diving. Personally I'd leave the gear home. All the really good diving is in SoCal or Mexico - a long weekend from here.

Do you golf?
In the Valley, which is Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, and everything in between there is 268 course alone. Arizona is the fastest growing golf community in america, by 2010 there will be over 450 golf course in the state of Arizona, with a population of 25 million.

Arizona Dive Sites

Actually, when I was living there, Lake Pleasant had some of the best conditions this time of year. Although it was cold, the visibility was often at it's best. The lake is fed by offshoots of the Colorado River. About a 2-3 hour drive from Phoenix is Lake Mohave and there is some decent diving worth checking out there if you don't mind the drive. Then you also have San Diego about 5 hours away.

Dive report from my LDS who was in Lake Pleasant last weekend: 51 degrees. Vis sucked because all of the recent rains had the washes blowing gunk into the lake.

thanks guys, that is what I though, 51 degrees = dry suit - not worth lugging across the country for a dive in a lake/quarry, can do that here, do not feel like driving far - just here for a couple of day, I do golf, but do it badly - I am guessing spring training will not be up and running yet?

I am guessing spring training will not be up and running yet?
Sorry, First week of March.

If you snow skii, you can take about a 2 1/2 hour drive up to Flagstaff and skii at Snowbowl or alittle longer drive and skii Sunrise

:rofl3: I heard they got so much snow a week or so ago, they had to close Sunrise!! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom