If considering a purchase from ScubaDiverGreg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Mark had advertised two Sea and Sea 1200HD cameras and I purchased the new one. The camera does not focus and the lense is stuck in the extended position (Charged up the battery, inserted a new card and powered up) This is his response to my request for my money back (I offered to eat the shipping cost back to Toronto)

"Mike,

I'm afraid I cannot refund your money, I already used it for another purchase. Also, it is not my responsibilty that a brand new camera is not working. I understand that you're in an unfortuneate situation but I just can't accept a return. It is monetarily impossible for me and it's a factory/manufacturing issue, not mine."

Expensive, but I've learned my lesson, I'll only deal with local/dealers.

If it's new did it come with the warranty paperwork?

Might be able to get it serviced via the manufacturer if that's the case.

Wow that pretty much sucks. It is actually his responsability that the camera does not work, he is the one that sold it to you. He should have tested it first before he advertised it as a workng camera. Hopefully you paid him via PayPal. Let him know you intend to file a claim through PayPal, and if he still does not work with you, file a claim. Perhaps something happens for you. Good luck with this one.

Hi Pudsky, the warranty card did come with the box(it was previously opened/not sealed) and I did pay via Paypal. I've never filed a claim before, but I will be reading up on how to do so. I also found out that the warranty center is about 20 miles from my house so I'm going to be checking on that. The part that really sucks is that I'm leaving for Hawaii on the 5th and wanted to use this camera (I'm only snorkeling as wife has reserved the rest of my time for meeting with the realtor). I have several Nikonos/strobe setups and an old Sony point and shoot that I'll probably end up taking, but I was looking forward to the zoom function in movie mode (The Sony only has zoom in still mode and no HD). Thanks for the info on Paypal though, I'm going to file if possible.

Thanks
Mike

Filing a claim through Paypal could only be done if you used Payment for Goods / Purchase / Services. If you sent the payment through Gift option, you are not eligible for claim (there's nothing to claim for because you "gifted" the money).

If you're eligible, know this first off, even though you can file a claim it is not guaranteed that you'll get a refund. Paypal only works hard for purchases done through eBay.

That said. Transactions done outside eBay could be disputed. Click on the details of the payment, and it should open into a window that says Payment sent (Unique transaction). At the very bottom of the page there is a link, "Resolution Center" if I recall correctly.

From that point, after clicking the link, just follow the instructions. Do note that you will first file a claim, then for 2 weeks try to work on the problem with the seller, if no action is done and issue not resolved, you can escalate the claim to a Dispute. You must submit proofs through Paypal of the camera malfunctioning (although I'm not sure how you could photograph the lens being stucked or not focusing).

It will take 60days for this process. Paypal will review the case and award to whoever is right. But Paypal can only take money from the seller if he has a balance in the account -- not from the bank. If he has $0.00 in his Paypal, you will not be refunded anything. This is what I explained earlier. Sucks doesn't it? It's all in their policy.

Hope this helps you out.

Mark needs an attitude adjustment. Yes, it is EXACTLY his responsibility to make a transaction right. Perhaps he is in a bad money spot, in which case he should pay you back over time. Perhaps he's a kid that has not yet learned that people need to take responsibility for their actions. Mark should refund your money and deal with the warranty issues himself.

Having said that, obviously pursue the warranty option assuming you have the documentation to make the claim.

It's unfortunate for you to give up on online purchases altogether. I estimate mastering the online 'dos and don'ts' has saved me at least 25% overall even accounting for the very few times what I thought I was ordering was not what I got, typically my fault. #1 rule, Feedback is everything. Please make sure you take the time to score Mark appropriately.

Hello fellow forum members,

Looks like there's been alot of mud being slung my way. I'd like to clarify a few things. First of all, I don't really appreciate having my name posted in the title like that. I would rather not have my name posted blatantly on the Internet like that. Secondly, I noticed someone above mentioned that it did not come "sealed". I received the camera without any sort of plastic wrapping directly from where I bought it. Lots of electronics come in boxes you can open and close. Someone also mentioned that I should have tested the camera. If I did that, the camera wouldn't be new. I would have to remove the battary from it's packaging then use the camera. I wanted to sell it new and not used. The camera is covered under the factory's full warranty since it hasn't been used. The buyer can get it fixed or replaced free of charge. It is not my fault that the camera isn't working right out of the box. I understand the buyer is in a bad situation, but it is not my responsibility now. This is an issue between the new owner and the manufactuar. He can easily resolve the problem through the company, but instead he wants to let it all fall on my shoulders.

TC:
If it's new did it come with the warranty paperwork?

Might be able to get it serviced via the manufacturer if that's the case.
Warranty card is included since the camera was brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom