Dive boats on fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire2.mn_30_1_2010_5_14.jpg

...it's just too bad those are photos of Asian shark finning boats burning instead......

Because of the wind, 5 dive boats went on fire in Suez dry dock yesterday, January 30th. The boats stayed on fire for about 9 hours.

I do not understand "Because of the wind . . . the boats caught fire . . "?

Was there a fire someplace else, and the boats caught fire from that fire?

Or did one boat catch fire, and the wind caused the fire to go to the other four boats?

Newspaper report I saw said 20 boats went up.

Newspaper report I saw said 20 boats went up.

...20 boats ! ....hmmm, there must be some incredibly destructive diver 'pressure' on those reefs if they've got those numbers of boats servicing (savaging) the area in the first place.

...it's just too bad those are photos of Asian shark finning boats burning instead......

...20 boats ! ....hmmm, there must be some incredibly destructive diver 'pressure' on those reefs if they've got those numbers of boats servicing (savaging) the area in the first place.

:w-t-f: Am I the only one that doesn't get this?

:w-t-f: Am I the only one that doesn't get this?

No.

I found the following quote, but no mention on what started them, or other general info.

M Y Juliet Escapes Fire! Oonasdivers News and Blog
M Y Juliet was lucky to escape any serious damage as number of other Red Sea liveaboards went up in flames. Totally destroyed through fire at the Suez drydock on Saturday afternoon and evening were some well known boats and we understand Hyatt, Typhoon and VIPI were amongst the casualties. Yasser Gouda, M Y Juliet’s owner was extremely fearful at times during the height of the fire and he sent us these photos of the blaze and attempts by fire crew and air support to douse the flames. M Y Juliet will be out of dry dock shortly with her new 750hp MAN engines and resuming her classical Northern Red Sea charters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom