Atomic Aquatics "Smoke on the Water"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone used these split fins? What do you think of them? They got a good review in Scuba magazine two years ago.
Steve

Has anyone used Atomic Aquatics "Smoke on the Water" fins? They got a good review in Scuba magazine two years ago.

If you've got $250 to drop on a set of fins, I'd recommend going the extra few bucks for the "Smoke and Mirrors on The Water" version. Sure, they're $325 but they're split completely in half so you can go three times faster!

:D

If you've got $250 to drop on a set of fins, I'd recommend going the extra few bucks for the "Smoke and Mirrors on The Water" version. Sure, they're $325 but they're split completely in half so you can go three times faster!

Come on RJP! Cut me some slack. I was looking for some input, not sarcasm.
Steve

Steve

OK, since the sarcasm seemed to have obscured my point:

I think split fins are waste of money at any price, much less $250.

If you have a preference for splitfins, they have seemed to me to be more responsive (generating thrust quickly from a sudden muscle input) than most splitfins. Also, most splitfins will "peak out", and have an upper limit on thrust, as you would need when towing another diver, for example. The Atomics generate a higher peak thrust.

I recently taught a "Fins and Kicks Clinic", where we showed each different kick, from flutter to dolphin to back kicks; and had many, many different brands and designs of fins available for the students to try. The students were able to try each fin, with each kick, and see what the weaknesses and strengths were.

If you can find such a class in your area I highly reccomend it, as you will become able to choose a fin and style, based on your own experience, that matches your preferences and needs.

All the best, James

Steve,

I owned a set and liked them a lot. Very easy to put on/off in heavy surf and super easy to kick. Just a couple of thrust and off you go, sometimes you don't even realize they are own, they do have power for speed.

On the downside, they are longer than most splits and if not careful can hit the bottom very easy, colliding with coral, rocks and other divers.

I tried them, found them too long for my taste and I didn't care for them being positively buoyant. They are remarkably stiff for splits.

RJP Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTW
Steve

OK, since the sarcasm seemed to have obscured my point:

I think split fins are waste of money at any price, much less $250.

Thanks again RJP
The question was directed to those divers that may have used these splitfins!
The question was not a poll on who doesn't like splitfins. Maybe you need someone to read posts to you!

Thanks again RJP
The question was directed to those divers that may have used these splitfins!
The question was not a poll on who doesn't like splitfins. Maybe you need someone to read posts to you!

I've used them on several occasions; salt water and fresh, cold water and warm. Your original post was not clear that you only wanted responses from people who LIKE them. You should have said so.

:shocked2:

RJP
I've used them on several occasions; salt water and fresh, cold water and warm.
Your original post was not clear that you only wanted responses from people who LIKE them. You should have said so.

Why didn't you say that in the begining? Or did you first have to be sarcastic? We could have eliminated some posts that way.
Thanks,
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom