south florida water temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
im getting my certification in the end of march and i live in south fl. and i have a 3/2 suit. it has long legs but short arms. is that going to be warm enough for this time of year?

Scotty...I'm down in the Keys and am wearin' a full 7m (long arm, long leg) .. Am still wearin' the 7m thru March.. I do drop down to a full 3m, add a hooded vest, by April. You're way up in Boynton...is that where you'll be diving? What does your Instructor wear??? Welcome to the world of diving!

There are a lot of factors that come in to play. Time in the water, number of dives, water temperature and perhaps most importantly, your personal tolerance. I dove in the keys in Jan in a 3mm suit and was fine for the deeper dives, but an hour in the 30' range led to some periods where I wanted to be a bit warmer. My guess would be that by the end of march you may be OK, but you may want to consider wearing a rash guard top under the suit or seeing if the place you are certing from has rental wetsuits or if they provide that for the dives when you take your classes. You may even want to go to the beach and spend some time in the water wearing the suit to see how you feel with it. I also came across a reasonable guide, (with the emphasis on GUIDE) at this link. Good luck with your certification.
How to Buy a Wetsuit

im getting my certification in the end of march and i live in south fl. and i have a 3/2 suit. it has long legs but short arms. is that going to be warm enough for this time of year?

IMO... No.

I dive off Boca Raton. I get cold easily, but do fine with a 3/2 full suit, and a 3/5 hooded vest.

I agree with Scubaduo. I have a long sleeve 1.5 mm top that I will wear under my 3mm when I need to take the edge off a little. I also like the added protection of the added sleeves for lobstering.

I think at certain times of the year (like now through March) the water is warmer in Boynton Beach than in the Keys. The Gulfstream has a very big influence on our water temps and keeps them reasonable. I was fishing offshore this past weekend. Water temps were 73.5 to 74.5 out to about 150 ft and gets warmer as you go offshore into the Gulfstream which is probably 77 or 78.

ScubaScotty561 the only way to know if it's warm enough for you is to take it for a swim. You gotta christen it sometime and you don't need to be certified to swim with a wetsuit.

Water temps at Ocean Ridge/Boynton Beach these days are roughly 72F with occasional thermoclines that feel like a 10F temperature drop. (For what it's worth water temps at Ocean Ridge on New Year's Day were 78F.)

Warmth, like happiness, is an intensely personal state of existence.

Last year I was fine in a full 3 in February, this year I purchased a 2 mil hooded vest to wear under and I still get a little cold towards the end of the dive. I think I've only worn the hood for one whole dive though. I can't stand it and always end up taking it off. The vest has definately been nice. I think you will be too cold in a 3/2 for any long dives or repetitive dives.

I dove in my 3mil on Weds off Gulfstream and was fine. Stripping down to the waist, drying off and putting on something warm during the dive interval is the key for me. 71 degree water is really not that cold if your core is warm. Also having a snack and proper hydration is important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom