Liveaboard away from the crowd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malcforrest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for abit of inside information on liveaboards in the Red Sea this coming September/October

Hoping for some experienced advice on how two 30 year old instructors and their 4 friends can enjoy some of the better diving in the area without the crowds (when I say 'crowds' I mean no more than one other boat at the dive site).

Looking for an operator that has nitrox, good food, goes the extra mile in getting you to the healthier sites and basically gives a sh#t.

Price is a factor but avoiding the crowds is #1.

Thanks

Then discard the Red Sea, or at least the Egyptian part.

Good advice! I've only been once (so Red Sea Shadow knows loads more than I do), but after crossing overnight from Elphinstone to the Brothers we woke up with 7 other liveaboards moored near us around Little Brother. There were 4-5 boats at Big Brother that day as well. It was madness. One dive was like being on the M25 (ring around London) you literally had to signal to 'change lanes' or you would have been hit by other divers.

Once some of the other boats left, it was nice diving.

Ok, so I'll continue to ask you guys first before researching somewhat blindly, who do, should, I contact regarding a small liveaboard charter? Red Sea Shadow, you seem like the a go to guy, how do you best enjoy your diving in the area?

cheers

Red Sea Shadow, you seem like the a go to guy, how do you best enjoy your diving in the area?
Personally I enjoy shore diving and camel dive safaris more. During the camel dive safaris one dives virgin spots and is away from the crowds; most of the time all alone with his group.

Ok, so I'll continue to ask you guys first before researching somewhat blindly, who do, should, I contact regarding a small liveaboard charter?
Well, first I'd ask where? Which area in the Red Sea do you like to dive?

An easier question is what type of diving are you into (wrecks, walls, pelagics, etc...)?

Have you considered the Sudanese Red Sea? You are usually the only boat on the reef. On the big reefs like Rumi and Sanganeb, there can be a couple of other boats during weekends but they have many dive spots. In the north and in the south of Port Sudan you are likely to be alone – all of the time.

In Egypt I'd say that a on safari leaving from Wadi Lahmi in the south of Egypt, going south, you would normally be alone. I've only dived little in that area 'en route' Port Sudan, but I know that a few of the regulars here on SB love that area, Anders Jälmsjö a.k.a. Aziab can probably fill you in.

good luck

I've often heard Sudan is good, liveabroad being the only way to go from there I guess. Personally I'm not so interested in wrecks, ideally prefer a mix of currents with the bigger stuff and slow macro hunting.

On Roatan we have alot of wall diving, occasional strong currents and very little pelagic action, in case you're interested!

I've often heard Sudan is good, liveabroad being the only way to go from there I guess. Personally I'm not so interested in wrecks, ideally prefer a mix of currents with the bigger stuff and slow macro hunting.

On Roatan we have alot of wall diving, occasional strong currents and very little pelagic action, in case you're interested!

Sudanese diving is mostly about walls and plateus jutting out from the reef with abyssal depths surrounding them. Sometimes strong currents, but normally not that bad. Plenty of big fish with spring being the best time for sharks and fall for manta and mobula rays. There are a couple of wrecks with the s/s Umbrea being the most famous and then the remains of Jacques Cousteaus Conshelf II-experiment on Sha'ab Rumi.

Liveaboard is the way to dive the Sudan. There used to be a landbased DC in Port Sudan 7-8 years ago run by Emperor divers but it was shut down after a short while and they offered liveaboard only.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom