Spear fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPete

Reaction score
What are the requirements for spear fishing??
Just a fishing licence?

Or do you need to take a class.
Can you with open waters or do you need advanced

I know that in florida, you have to have a fishing license, and follow all laws accordingly. Also there isnt a specific cert class to take, but here some dive shops have seminars. And as far as certification level, anyone can spearfish, it depends on your personal skill level. most spearfishing is done pretty much solo, and requires you to have your mind on other things than just gas managment and so forth. I f you feel comfortable being alone, and concentrating on shootin' give it try.

...in California, anyway, is a 'same-ocean-buddy' situation, usually. All that is required is a current fishing license. (And watch your take carefully, the game wardens out here are sharp, and stealthy.)

This may be an urban legend, but I've heard of a warden approaching a lobster hunter underwater, and checking his bag.

There have also been many changes in California's fishing regulations, so if you are hunting here be sure to get a current fish and game pamphlet. As far as training, some agencies and dive shops offer classes. Experienced hunters are a good resource and likely willing to share. Be comfortable in the water and with your hunting equipment. Be able to identify what you take.

JustAddWater once bubbled...
Be able to identify what you take.

This is a biggie with most game wardens in CA at least from central ca on up north at least in my experience. We had one grill us for about 10 min on the regs and he made sure we knew what we had by identifying each fish and the size limits. We actually passed :D

All us spearos know what it takes, fine diving skills, 3 hands, being a dammed good shot, balls o' steele (chumming in the water is what you're doing) and oh yeah, a fishing license:)) zeN||

lal7176 once bubbled...

This is a biggie with most game wardens in CA at least from central ca on up north at least in my experience. We had one grill us for about 10 min on the regs and he made sure we knew what we had by identifying each fish and the size limits. We actually passed :D

But, even if you didn't "pass", I'm not aware that there is a law that says you must be conversant with the rules....As far as I know, all you need to bear in mind is to follow those rules by *not* taking illegal fish, or doing something that is prohibited, right? Or am I missing something?

Suppose you couldn't ID the fish, or quote the regs...and the fish you carried was within the law...What is the violation?

This is somewhat akin to a cop grilling me on the traffic laws, whether I've violated one or not. I'd have to say I would gently but firmly disuade the warden from such an interrogation. :)

I agree that it is important to be aware of the law so a violation doesn't take place, but I'm not aware of a requirement to do so.

What am I missing?

scubasean once bubbled...

But, even if you didn't "pass", I'm not aware that there is a law that says you must be conversant with the rules....As far as I know, all you need to bear in mind is to follow those rules by *not* taking illegal fish, or doing something that is prohibited, right? Or am I missing something?

Suppose you couldn't ID the fish, or quote the regs...and the fish you carried was within the law...What is the violation?

This is somewhat akin to a cop grilling me on the traffic laws, whether I've violated one or not. I'd have to say I would gently but firmly disuade the warden from such an interrogation. :)

I agree that it is important to be aware of the law so a violation doesn't take place, but I'm not aware of a requirement to do so.

What am I missing?

Like you said as long as our catch was legal there is nothing he can do. As for me im no fish identifying expert especially with rockfish as there are so many different ones and to me many of them look the same. There are still several rockfish on the no take list even though the season just opened up again.

I mainly stick to halibut and lingcod as they are my favorite and easily identified.The game warden was cool and was just testing our knowledge on what we had. He never actually measured our fish. If he was out to burn us he could have measured our fish and tried to find one slightly undersize which there might have been one rock fish that would have been real close.

In the end he thanked us for our time and was glad to see we were up on the regulations and could identify our catch. He said it was surprising at how many people just catch fish legal or not and just throw them in their bucket and have no idea of the size limitations.

I Have To Agree with Sean on that note, game wardens can be real *******s sometimes, my reply to all that crap would be something akin to "Kiss my ...(not my wife)", that's not their place to grille people, if you are not in violation when they stop you their job is done. You guys work for us! zeN||

Back
Top Bottom