Mustaches, Beards & Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TicBiz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been dealing with it for decades my own way but interested in what other hairy folks have found that works for them; techniques and gear.

Dweebs who have nothing better to do with their time, other than spew "shave" will get a "Nimrod" notice.

I've been told that vasoline helps with the mask seal when you have facial hair. I've also heard of people who use snot. Gross.

I used to shave just under my nose to get my mask to seal. Now I wear a full face mask. No more issue. Vaseline? Too much trouble, IMHO.

Somehow, lack of seal at the bottom of the mask not bothering me at all.
Neck seal on a drysuit - another story, so I had to abandon the idea of a full beard ;-)

I've had a full set of whiskers since the late 1960s, never noticed a problem. Did I miss the memo?

I've been shaving a thin space above my mustache (Van Dyke-style) when I dive; however, on a recent ice dive when I forgot to do so, I had no problems. Huh.

This product also looks interesting; I have not tried it, however.
Mask Leak Sealant 1/4oz - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
(Note: I have no financial interest in this whatsoever; this link is for informational purposes only.)

If I must use a scuba mask I run some lip balm on my caterpiller.

Otherwise it's full face mask for me.

Too funny I shaved off my go-tee and mustache for my trip in Feb. as I never dove with one. I thought about asking the same question. Even though there is a " no-flame-zone" I figured to in-cure the wrath of smart replies :). Great to see some of the obscure questions show up. Thanks for posting.

Tried the vaseline, the mask seal, shaving, etc. Didn't like any of it...

So, I went through a dozen masks, until I found one that would work with my stache, instead of making the stache work with the mask... Turned out to be a SeaVision Ultra (own three of them now -- no shaving, no vaseline, no leaks).

Facial hair has never been much of a problem for me (I smile so much under water that I'm always clearing my mask anyhow). However, the random crazy long eyebrow hair does create an annoying drip from time to time.

I can't grow hair on top, but those eyebrows sure try and make up the difference! :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom