Southern egypt end of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ross1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My partner and I are looking to do a weeks liveaboard and then a weeks land based in southern egypt. I have been on the Oonas divers website. We are thinking of doing a week on a liveaboard with the Blue planet (MY blue seas) boats listed on the Oonas divers website, doing the Elphinstone,brothers, and deadelous and then a week land based at the Marsa shagra eco village in one of the royal tents.

Have any of you guys used these people and their boats or the eco village?

Also is end of July a good time to see big stuff? Hoping for a hammerhead sighting and hopefully an Oceanic white tip or two.

Many thanks
Ross

Can't speak for Oonas, they are the competition! :D I know a few of the staff there and they are a well established and respected operation so I doubt you could go far wrong; I'm sure people who have dived with them can give you the low-down in that respect.

End of July is a good time in the Red Sea - Whale Sharks, Mantas, Longimanus and Tiger Sharks are highly probable at that time of year, along with sailfish and the occaisional sunfish, possibly even dugongs if you're super-lucky.

Wherever you decide to go - have fun!

C.

Oonas are a well respected operator. Haven't used them myself, but I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with them. July is a good time for the itinerary.
Shagra is a well run camp, but the tents might be very hot at that time of year. They have air conditioned madaiafas as well (nubian style bungalows).

cheers

I've been to Shagra Eco Village twice in july and I'll be there in mid july this summer again, so I'll guess I'll have to say it's great. With the least of luck you should see hammerheads at Elphinstone and, fingers crossed, the tigers might be back. Back in the marsa I hope the whitetip reefsharks are still there, I've seen them grow up over three visits.

I'm also curious about the dugong in Marsa Abu Dabbab, just around the corner. I've read that there's two of them now. Dugongs are realy cool animals!

Like Christian said, go for the madaiafas. The tents are way to hot in the summertime.

Thanks alot guys. I'm really glad you have told me about the tents being too hot in the summer.

I`ve seen in November lots of sharks @ Big Brother island. We`ve sailed during the night on a rough sea from Panorama Reef and we were the only ship that left the reef in this direction...the others had to wait for the sea to calm down BUT when we arrived during the same day in the night at Big Brother we were the only boat there and the sharks surrounded us. It was like 5-8 sharks that were around the boat for 2 hours...thats a big sign that people / divers are feeding the sharks and THIS IS WRONG!!! During the next day u/w we encountered around 10 sharks or so at BB. No sharks at Little Bother, Daedalus, Elphinstone but BB was filled. Here are some pics.

Fox shark, white tip, black tip, etc

This was just a teasing...not feeding so dont jump on me...i was shooting pics :)
Forumul pasionatilor de scufundari

Forumul pasionatilor de scufundari

ps: login required but it worth the while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom