ScubaSpec - prescription eyeglass inserts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKurk

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a perscription mask - my script is going to cost me almost 300.00 (mask + lenses) to fill.

Since my eye Dr told me that my vision would probably deteriorate over time - I would really like to have the ability to upgrade my lenses as needed without spending a lot of money each time.

I found this in a Google search & it seems like a cool concept except I have not seen any reviews on this here (YES I DID A SEARCH ON THE SB FORUMS - 1 post that just links up the info to the site).

ScubaSpec - Prescription Glasses for Scuba Mask or Masks

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

John

100,000 members & no one has ever tried these things????

I may have to pass & bite the bullet on the regular optical mask. :crying:

100,000 members & no one has ever tried these things????

I may have to pass & bite the bullet on the regular optical mask. :crying:

How do you figure that not one of 100,000 ScubaBoard members has tried these things, simply because no one responded to your post within 6 days and 6 hours?

How do you figure that not one of 100,000 ScubaBoard members has tried these things, simply because no one responded to your post within 6 days and 6 hours?

You are right - I was hoping (I guess) that someone woiuld have replied with ANY feedback.

Not sure if you took offense to the post but that was certainly not my intention.

You are right - I was hoping (I guess) that someone woiuld have replied with ANY feedback.

Not sure if you took offense to the post but that was certainly not my intention. Since your handle indicates that you may have expert advice on this particular subject, please feel to give any input you think may help.

Thanks.

Don't let my user ID fool you, I know nothing about them whatsoever.

Holy Cow! $37!!?? For a 'lil piece of plastic?

I have a good silicone mask. And I have my eyeglass which just snap out of my bicycle goggles. I just need something to stabilize the glasses inside the mask.
The scubaspec wouldn't work for me anyway, because it requires a hole in the bridge of the glasses so they'll snap into the mask. Mine have no hole and I'm not drilling one. But they fit into the mask really well. They just move around a little.

I did pick up a good piece of info from the site though, "silicone glue" which I'll try to locate at Lowe's. And maybe one of those little plastic clips that hold mirrors to a wall.

I'd assume having glasses inside a mask would give two more surfaces to fog. But I'm holding off on buying a prescription mask at least until I get into the water for the first time.

The prescription masks have changeable lenses, for $37 per lense, acording to the local dive shop. And that was bi-focal. I'm going to try it with no glasses first. One guy at the dive shop said his wife wears glasses but don't need them underwater, I guess because of the optical difference in the water. My 'script isn't all that strong.

Holy Cow! $37!!?? For a 'lil piece of plastic?

I have a good silicone mask. And I have my eyeglass which just snap out of my bicycle goggles. I just need something to stabilize the glasses inside the mask.
The scubaspec wouldn't work for me anyway, because it requires a hole in the bridge of the glasses so they'll snap into the mask. Mine have no hole and I'm not drilling one. But they fit into the mask really well. They just move around a little.

I did pick up a good piece of info from the site though, "silicone glue" which I'll try to locate at Lowe's. And maybe one of those little plastic clips that hold mirrors to a wall.

I'd assume having glasses inside a mask would give two more surfaces to fog. But I'm holding off on buying a prescription mask at least until I get into the water for the first time.

The prescription masks have changeable lenses, for $37 per lense, acording to the local dive shop. And that was bi-focal. I'm going to try it with no glasses first. One guy at the dive shop said his wife wears glasses but don't need them underwater, I guess because of the optical difference in the water. My 'script isn't all that strong.

I know - I thought the same thing until I found out that, due to my perscription, the cost was going to be a lot more than I expected.

I wish that I could just buy lenses that snap in & out as needed but since I am farsighted with a pretty strong perscription, the options are really limited on this.

Hopefully you will be OK without but I found that reading gauges, taking photos & seeing some of the marine life in the limited vis NY\NJ waters warrants the optical mask - I am going to bite the bullet & buy the mask but I will see the eye doc to make sure I have the right script 1st - if I am going to spend 300 bucks, I better have something that works

Good luck.

If you find you need to bite the bullet and get a real prescription mask, try this place: prescriptiondivemasks.com/ I really like mine.

I have had two of our divers try these, and both came to the same conclusion - not worth it!

I am not sure what your prescription is, but we have custom prescription masks made every week, and usually the cost of the prescription lenses are in the $125 range, so add $60 for a mask and you are still looking at over $100 less than what you quoted!

PM me if you want more info - glad to help!

I agree with Mike, prescription dive masks are great if you need bi-focals and have a high prescription. My wife has one from prescriptiondivemasks.com and loves it. I use diveoptics in my mask and they work fairly well but i only neede them to read my gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom