Pegasus Thruster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dive

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Saw the 2008 Scuababoard post when this DPV was "in development" and looking for backing.

Saw the production unit at DEMA 2009. Fascinating product, but retail price was 2-3X a regular scooter type model. Seems the retail price is coming down a little, but still seems pricey.

Has anyone looked at / considered this tank mounted DPV as a viable purchase? I'd love to have one, the size and configuration is great for my charter operation, but can't get past the price point. Anybody else interested in this product?

Saw one at the Miami Boat Show. Looked like an excellent product, to include the option for wet battery replacement... Not sure how that would work! I would buy one for $500, but at the 2000 mark it's too much. I'll just keep investing in good fins.

I tested some early models. They are very nice, but not very powerful compared to a scooter.

I dove with the Pegasus and loved it. I know that there is a rec model out now for half the price! I used half the air and got twice the dive time. You should check it out!

I'm thinking you could DIY with a trolling motor and PVC pipe. Back in the day we made DPV's this way. In fact the plan was in Popular Science Magazine. Probably get it built with $500 to $600 invested.

I dove with the Pegasus and loved it. I know that there is a rec model out now for half the price! I used half the air and got twice the dive time. You should check it out!

Now I'm more confused than ever. I looked at the rec model and it has exactly the same specs as the original model, just in a blue shell instead of black. Makes the original price point even less understandable if the same unit now is available for less. It's really only $900 less, so it's not half. Still can't get past the price point. Cute, but unreasonable.

Called Dean (inventor) at Pegasus about your comment(s) --- on the recreational model the charge time is 6 - 8 hours and the number of battery cycles is 250 - 300 compared to 2.5 hours charge time and 500 - 700 cycles on the commercial model. How is the current on the Oriskany? Do you rent dpvs?

Called Dean (inventor) at Pegasus about your comment(s) --- on the recreational model the charge time is 6 - 8 hours and the number of battery cycles is 250 - 300 compared to 2.5 hours charge time and 500 - 700 cycles on the commercial model. How is the current on the Oriskany? Do you rent dpvs?
A less robust battery/slower charger equates to only a $900 price difference?
Currents can be noticeable on the "O" at times, but nothing like the reports I've heard for the DUANE / BIBB / Vandenburg. Never enough to preclude or interfere with diving.
We don't rent DPVs. Looked into the Pegasus program, but again, it's a price point issue. Not sufficient demand to justify the investment required.

I spent some time with them at the Fort Lauderdale Boat show last weekend. The rec model comes with one battery not two, has a cheaper battery with same power, but less life cycles and does not come with a case. I told them that I was sceptical about their claims of 35lbs thrust for 35-45 min from a unit that only weighed 13 pounds. I asked several times and checked all the materials including web site, but never got an answer to how many watts or amps the motor was or how many Ah or Wh the battery is. They are local though and said we could arrange a test if we called them and we probably will do it. One of my friends is recovered from cancer and it looks like it may be perfect for helping him to keep up with us on regular dives. His body took a beating.

I'm planning on a Torpedo 2500 or 3500 soon and want to do a side by side if they will let me. I like alot about the thruster, hands free and the battery change under water is great, just slide the old battery off and put a new one on and you are going again. Price at 1350ish for a rec model is steep in my book and a unit with spare battery would be about what two Torpedo's cost.

Back
Top Bottom