Debate: Progressive Contact Lens or Bifocal Mask??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PowerDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife has horrible eyesight and with her normal contacts, she can not see the computer or compass. I have researched the possibility to have prescription lenses with bifocals and this is one option.

Before going this route, she had an eye exam to make sure the prescription was still okay. She asked the optometrist about the script lenses in the mask and his statement was that most people are not happy with prescription masks. He recommended a new contact lens where progressive (far, near and bifocal) can be included. I want my wife to feel the best in comfort underwater so this is one less thing she needs to worry about.

Does anyone have experience with script mask versus these new progressive contact lenses?? Was the optometrist just trying to sell the new contacts or is the experience with the masks valid?

PowerDude

If you want, ask me this question on the thread in my signature and I'll answer it there.

My wife has used a prescription bifocal mask happily for 5 yrs. I have never read nor heard of a generalized user unhappiness with prescription masks. I don't doubt at all that some divers would be unhappy with them. However, I am also sure that the same can be said for contact users.

Hi PowerDude and welcome to Scuba Board.

The topic of prescription masks comes up a lot here. You can get a lot of great info by reading through the threads.

I've been happily using bifocal prescription dive masks for years. Wearing my dive mask is essentially the same experience as wearing my glasses. No big deal.

I have masks with prescription bifocals in them. I was very pleased with the ability to designate how much of the area of the mask, and where, would be bifocal (as opposed to the off-the-shelf masks with reader lenses in them). I have no complaints at all about my bifocal masks, except how painful it is to lose them.

Thanks all - The general sentiment of being happy is what I have also gathered from researching the forums. I just wanted some confirmation on this specific point since I was surprised that the doc made the recommendation for the progressive contacts.

PD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom