Horitzontal Ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoCrowes255

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Could someone please explain the purpose behind them to me. I understand a horizontal descent (do them myself) but I don't get the ascent. Any DIR guys care to explain it to me?

(Not trolling just curious)

I'm not exactly a DIR god. However, it is my understanding that there are at least three good reasons for the horizontal ascent.

First, like the horizontal descent, it minimizes the cross-section presented to a current, which makes it easier to stay at the line.

Second, it maximizes your surface area in the vertical water column, which makes it easier to maintain a slow and controlled rate of ascent.

Third, it minimizes the difference in pressure that would result when your head is shallower than your feet. This means that you will off gas more evenly.

The reasons are much the same as the reasons for descending horizontally. Briefly:

1) Maintaining a horizontal position maximizes drag in the vertical direction. High drag in the vertical direction slows the rate of ascent, and eases buoyancy control.

2) Maintaining a horizontal position allows the diver to more easily move towards a buddy at the same or similar depth to render assistance. Or else to play tic tac toe on a slate during deco.

My reasoning for horizontal ascents are mainly for neutral bouyancy. When you are neutrally bouyant at depth, you are in a horizontal swimming position. If you were doing a dive where your ascent was along a slope to the surface; you most likely would spend the whole ascent following the contour of the bottom and remaining horizontal the whole time.

This for one is a reason to remain horizontal. Why go vertical to "ascend", when you can just remain horizontal. You can continue to watch the bottom in areas of good visibility, and you can keep your eye on the reference line on your ascent as well. By remaining neutrally bouyant, you can easily roll to reference the surface without any adverse effects on your depth.

Lastly, and most importantly... if something should happen that distracts you from your ascent [an OOA buddy, a lost mask, etc...] you are in a neutral bouyancy situation, and don't have to worry about loosing concentration and sinking or rising while you deal with the situation at hand.

e.g. when doing horizontal neutrally bouyant ascents, you can stop at any point and deal with a situation without having to concentrate on remaining at a constant depth when either positively or negatively bouyant.

While I am sure there are folks that ascend vertically while remaining neutrally bouyant, It has been my experience that the typical vertical ascent practiioner use their fins to ascend while being slightly negative, and not using breath control to ascend.

the other responses and ascend horizontally until I'm close to the surface i.e. about 6 to 7 feet. From this point it depends on where I'm at whether I go vertical or stay horizontal to the surface.

WJL once bubbled...
The reasons are much the same as the reasons for descending horizontally. Briefly:

1) Maintaining a horizontal position maximizes drag in the vertical direction. High drag in the vertical direction slows the rate of ascent, and eases buoyancy control.

2) Maintaining a horizontal position allows the diver to more easily move towards a buddy at the same or similar depth to render assistance. Or else to play tic tac toe on a slate during deco.

I think this pretty much says it, although I could control my ascent just fine vertical also. As stated in number 2, however you're in the best position to be able to control movement is any direction and that has lots of benefits.

I believe a horizontal ascent all the way to the surface is a bad idea. We examined this thoroughly in this thread.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom