Anyone diving the Melbourne-Sebastian areas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n618ft

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Melbourne and wouldn't mind doing some diving around here instead of driving a couple hours... no regular charters that I know of in these parts but I was wondering if anyone does any diving around here and if so, where/how? Forget the visibility and currents - I assume the lobsters are extra large and the wrecks are extra virgin, no?

The beaches below Sebastian have some really good diving if the seas are flat over several days. It's mostly a summer event

The beaches below Sebastian have some really good diving if the seas are flat over several days. It's mostly a summer event

Nice to know! What about some wrecks or good lobstering spots? How bad can the visibility be this time of year? I'll trade poor visibility for fat crustaceans. My girlfriend's high maintenance.

N618FT, is that a FIT airplane?

And unless you go out on a private boat or rent a fishing charter, you will likely not get any diving off the coast of Melbourne or Sebastian.

You are less than 2 hours from some of the best diving anywhere - there is a reason the diving in Melbourne and Sebastion is little mentioned - its not consistantly good - and I'm being very politically correct.

If you have decent skills - you profile does not say - Jupiter is tops.

And Jupiter Dive Center is first rate - superb- if you need a little more assistance, try Kevin at Underwater Explorers in Boynton Beach - he is super.

Forget Melborne, especially this time of year.

Unless you know someone with a boat or by happenstance it is flat for a while there isn't much diving up this way this time of year. There is some great beach diving from Wobasso and southward if the conditions are right. My last 3 dive attempts at Wobasso had 0 viz and a little drive to Ft.Pierce the water cleared right up. PM me if you live in the area and want to try to do some diving.

I bought a yak last year and in the summer when the winds blow from the west and the current pushing just right we get some fairly decent diving here in Fort Pierce. Otherwise it is a drive to Jupiter, Pompano, Boyton, Lauderdale by the Sea.

OR if you really wanna spend the $$$$$$$ go to the keys for a four day weekend..

N618FT, is that a FIT airplane?

And unless you go out on a private boat or rent a fishing charter, you will likely not get any diving off the coast of Melbourne or Sebastian.

Yep it is an FIT plane - did my solo in it 7 years ago. CFII and all that stuff now - flew for an airline for a while too. You fly?

What about Ft Pierce-Stuart areas? The northmost charters on the East Coast are in Jensen?

Hey n618ft

Yeah that's the way it usually is...Wabasso Oft but a short drive to Pepper Park Ft Pierce it clears. One way to avoid a tiring swim with no visibility...with polarized sun look at the Ocean you can see the reef out line, you will have at least 10 to 15 ft (if the reef outline moves, you're seeing cloud shadows)

So your at FIT! I went there, my son went there and We both surfed our ways out school (I finally got my degree at UCF...son's is still working on one.

Do you know Winston Scott (Aviation school dean)? If so tell him that Joe and Cheryl Bartoszek say "Hi"

Joe

PS: Since you have access to a plane, someday when seas are calm fly low from Sebastian Inlet to Ft Pierce Inlet just off the beach...you should be able to clearly sea the reef outlines

PS

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom