Spear Guns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyJoefish

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm intrested in the Sea Assassin spearguns. Has anyone used one and are they quiet? How do they compare to teak guns? They are capable of carring an extra free spear - what do you think? I hunt the kelp beds in Southern California with scuba.

Extra spear on your gun = extra weight = extra task loading. I have mine set up that way, but don't carry the extra spear any more. It's just too cumbersome.

Extra spear on your gun = extra weight = extra task loading. I have mine set up that way, but don't carry the extra spear any more. It's just too cumbersome.

Most scuba spearfisherman here on the Florida West coast freeshaft and carry 2 or usually 3 shafts while hunting. The only additional task loading is picking up 2 or three fish with shafts in them and replacing the extra shafts on the gun.

With wooden guns, there's no extra weight as long as you ballast the gun for the number of shafts.

But I thought you Cali guys all lineshaft. Having one extra shaft couldn't hurt for kill shots I guess.

Charlie

Most scuba spearfisherman here on the Florida West coast freeshaft and carry 2 or usually 3 shafts while hunting. The only additional task loading is picking up 2 or three fish with shafts in them and replacing the extra shafts on the gun.

With wooden guns, there's no extra weight as long as you ballast the gun for the number of shafts.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but how do you ballast the gun? When I add two spare shafts onto my gun, it is very negative- thus the reason for my comment. I've thought about adding the "wings" to the gun, but don't have any room once the shafts are attached..

Start with a thicker blank. I shoot a Deathstick with 2 total shafts. It sinks with 1 or 2 shafts but floats with none.
And Ken had to put some lead in it to make it relatively neutral with one shaft in.

You can put foam in the handle or add wood on the bottom of the gun also.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie,

Wouldn't going with a thicker blank mean having to re-cut the rail and the ends where the handle / muzzle attach? That might be a little more than what I'm interested in now. I could add some to the bottom of the gun, but right now have it set up for a reel when I freedive, so that would probably get in the way.

The foam, however, may help some. Any suggestions on a type which would be the most buoyant and have the least impact on anything in the water? I know a lot of guns use the Divinycell H60 foam, but when looking at it, it looks too spongy to just put inside the handle. Any input there?

Thanks again!

I have used a Sea Assassin a few times to punch holes in some grouper.

I would say it was fairly quiet, but I can't speak to the ability to carry an extra spear. Not bad guns at all.

When you carry the extra spears do you attach them to your gun or do you carry them in a holder and if so what kind? I'm a scuba hunter usually in and around kelp.
Yes alot of the freedivers in So Cal use spearguns with line mostly wood. Infact most I talk to wouldn't use anything else. Myself I'm just looking at all my options and the info has been very helpful so far.

Back
Top Bottom