"He's just a little green...."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's an interesting story about a new diver. I'm trying not to pass judgement on this individual, just provide the information as I saw it take place.

On Saturday, my partner, Dave, and I made three dives on the north shore of Higgins Lake in Central Northern Michigan. We got an early start from my place in Frankenmuth and were at the dive site by about 10:00. As we geared up, we talked to a father-son team who had just finished diving and got the lay of the land so to speak. The weather was great, the water calm and clear with vis around 60-70 feet on the first dive. The entry is from the beach, with a long shallow water walk (about 300 feet) to get to the edge of the swimming area and then a pretty good drop off into deeper water. We made our first dive and checked out a sunken cruiser that the father-son team directed us to, along with a couple other sunken boats by following a line. Walked up and changed tanks and then after a short interval, walked out and made a second dive, going along the drop off in the other direction.

After the second dive, we decided to go have some lunch and have the tanks refilled and maybe make another dive or two. As we were taking our gear off, a young diver arrived in a small car. He had a "basic" kit with a BC, tank,weights, regs and gauges, fins mask and snorkle and booties. NO WETSUIT, Dave and I were drysuit diving, but all the other 6 divers we had seen at the site were wearing full wet suits. The young diver did NOT have a wet suit, and did NOT have a buddy, but was excited about diving the wreck. He asked me specifically if the water temp was less than 60 degrees. This is a LARGE, DEEP, spring fed, fresh water lake and at the 45-48 feet where the wreck of the cruiser is, I was reading temps around 47 to 48 degrees. I asssured him the water was quite a bit colder than that, and mentioned that he shouldn't be diving a site for the first time without a buddy (or ever for that matter). He told us that he had been diving the day before at Grand Traverse Bay and didn't need a wet suit then, but he had left his dive bag on the beach, unattended while he went diving and someone had stolen it...

There was a diver with a pickup truck, parked next to us, waiting for his partner to arrive to make a dive. I mentioned to him that he should keep a dive on our 'hero' and see if he could buddy with him and his missing buddy. His statement to me was, " Oh, he's just green, he'll be alright."

Well, we left the site, aired up and had some lunch at a local tavern. After a little over an hour, we were back at the dive site, and looking to gear up again. There appeared the young diver, having completed his unprotected dive to the wreck to take photos. He was shaking so hard that he could hardly speak. Said that the water was quite a bit colder than 60 degrees! This fellow as thin as a whip, with very little body fat and when I spoke with him, he was wrapped in a towel and shaking violently. His lips and feet and lower legs were a bloodless white/blue color. We advised him to go get a hot drink to warm his core and consider renting a wet suit from the shop around the corner from the site. I was amazed to hear him say,"I can RENT a wetsuit???"

We made our third dive of the day, and I managed to recover a 20# fluke anchor from the bottom and take it up to the car.

On the way out, we stopped again at the local dive shop to speak to the owner. He told us that the young diver had been there and had rented a wetsuit. But when he was filling out the paperwork, he commented that the owner would not be able to read the info as his hand was shaking so much that he was having problems writing.

Kids, be careful our there! Even in the middle of July, diving in a cold freshwater lake can lead to hypothermia and certainly reduced mental capabilites brought on by the cold. I'm amazed that someone like our hero can complete scuba training and still dive in this manner...

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
I'm amazed that someone like our hero can complete scuba training and still dive in this manner...
Others might point at this guy and say that he is a good example of a problem with OW training.

OTHOH, I look at him and figure that it doesn't matter how many times his instructor talked about hypothermia and how many times his instructor advised against solo diving. If he lacks judgement and common sense, then all the training in the world isn't going to penetrate his thick skull.

Everybody knows that young people are bulletproof. I am not suprised that he made it through OW training as it is difficult to tell who will be a cowboy then.

I dove that lake last November in the same area that you are referring to (I assume that you are using the American Legion Access). I was waiting for my drysuit to come in and the water temp was about 45 degrees near that cabin cruiser. I was in a full Hyperstrech two-piece wetsuit (complete with gloves and hood) and shivered for the whole drive home after only one dive. That is the last time that I have used that wetsuit, LOL.

I am glad that the guy survived his errors in judgement. I would like to know what he was doing diving any of the "local waters" without a wetsuit. These are are all dives that should require them if they are outdoors. I have dove in the Traverse City areas as well. It was a little warmer, but the only concession that I made to that was removing my hood and gloves (I don't often get to dive without them, so it felt great). Actually when shore diving, I prefer to have three people. One or more people are typically on shore to watch our gear.

The "without a buddy" part worries me more. But no dive instructor that I know of advises their OW or AOW students to dive that way. Charlie is dead on with this. This guy just doesn't want to listen.

Tom,
I'm going to be back up in Michigan in early September to visit some frineds (moved from Midland quite a few years ago). I'm curious about Higgins Lake and the diving there. Can you elaborate some?

Really want to get over to Thunder Bay on the same trip but might not have the time - sigh.

Last month I was diving at Dutch Springs and the first dive i decided I did not need my hood and gloves. I was going to be just fine. Yeah..unitl I hit the first thermokline. Anyway, my buddy and I had to cut the dive short. You bet your butt on the second dive i wore my hood and gloves. Super Diver Woman had departed the area.:eek:ut:

I have to admit I have done some solo diving in the past and probably will do so in the future, The difference is, when I do, (1) I have a very responsible person topside on my boat, (2) I trail a marker so they can tell my general vicinity, (3) the sites I dive alone I am more than familiar with and they don't exeed 50 feet deep, (4) and finally when I tell my boat mate how long I plan on staying down I stick to it. Most are against solo diving, I am one of those in favor of a "Solo C-Card". However there has to be some common sense and rules to follow. This Diver seems to have no respect for his training or his Instuctor for that matter. I live in Clearwater, our water temp in the spring and summer is generally in the 80's, thats pretty damn warm, but don't forget, your body temp is 16 + degrees higher, even in 80 degree water and extended dive can leave you shivering, I always wear a wetsuit. If not to keep warm alone but to protect myself from other elements, sea lice for one, if you havent ran into that yet pray you dont. My opinion is this diver needs to shape up before he is seriously hurt.

ScubaCowboy brings up a good point. My DiveCon Instructor has done a great deal of solo diving in his early years (after his normal dive buddy moved out the area and he had Heaven Knows how many dives.....) as did my classmate for Advanced Nitrox. I avoid the practice for myself as I don't yet feel experienced enough.

I have a great deal to say about someone who is inexperienced enough to dive in sub-fifty degree water without a wetsuit and solo. I will bet that he never tries it again.

I have said it before, we all do stupid things. I am glad that this gentleman survived this "stupid thing". The thought that he tried it without backup still makes me cringe a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom