Canister Light Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I’m back after a 4 year break from Scubaboard and I’ve got a question for everyone.

I’m switching to BP/W shortly and have been searching for a good canister light. I’ve come across two lights that I’d like your opinions on as well as what you dive with and would recommend.

OMS Phantom 3 LED
Light Monkey 12W LED

FYI, I’m a Northwest diver that frequents the dark, cold waters of the Puget Sound and I don't do underwater photography.

Thanks for your input!

Light Monkey! Read the reviews and how their customer service sets the bar and it is an easy decision. Let alone their product is top notch with features not found in other dive lights. Since the battery pack can most likely not flood that right there is another top reason for Light Monkey.

I have a 21 watt HID and can not imagine having less light in poor vis conditions. LED is becoming the wave of the future, but brighter is better.

I'm a Light Monkey customer for life. They make very good lights, but when they have problems (as all dive lights inevitably do) the customer service is simply above and beyond.

The 12W LED is an adequate light for the Sound, although the 21W HID has more "punch" for our algae blooms. But the LED has the advantages of being able to be turned on and off at will, and not having a ballast.

Hope that's helpful.

Lynne Colson Flaherty

Save yourself $ and aggrevation Colson, go with the lightmonkey, you will be happy you did!! Ther are 3 of us getting the 21watt HID, and we are really looking forward to them, do to the fact that we have heard nothing but great things, as said also by LYNN .

I'm a Light Monkey customer for life. They make very good lights, but when they have problems (as all dive lights inevitably do) the customer service is simply above and beyond.

The 12W LED is an adequate light for the Sound, although the 21W HID has more "punch" for our algae blooms. But the LED has the advantages of being able to be turned on and off at will, and not having a ballast.

Hope that's helpful.

Lynne Colson Flaherty

If you go with the 12W LED, I'd recommend the new improved Goodman handle, so that the light head won't be popping out.

Okay, so it sounds like it's a Light Monkey. I like the idea of sticking with the durability of the LED, I may just bump up to the 21W LED Light Monkey for the extra "punch" to deal with the algae blooms.

Here's another question, what backup light would you suggest to compliment the LM 21W LED?

So far everyone's input has been great! Thanks!

I'd go with at least 21W and stick to HID, The LED even in 21W form will not have the same "punch". I've beaten the crap out of my Salvo 21W HID (sticking it in the mud, dropping it off the bumper of my xterra, etc.) and it hasn't gave me even the slightest hiccup. Light Monkey or Halcyon IMO.

I'd go with at least 21W and stick to HID, The LED even in 21W form will not have the same "punch". I've beaten the crap out of my Salvo 21W HID (sticking it in the mud, dropping it off the bumper of my xterra, etc.) and it hasn't gave me even the slightest hiccup. Light Monkey or Halcyon IMO.

That sounds promising for the durability of HID. How long have you been beating the crap out of it?

for backups I love the Intova 4.7w LEDS. THey have a really tight beam and are very bright. Oh ya and they are only $40.00 on divegearexpress.com .

That sounds promising for the durability of HID. How long have you been beating the crap out of it?

About 120 dives. Dropped it off my bumper onto the gravel this morning and then went ahead and did a Tech 1 dive with it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom