Keys diving conditions, which is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading down for a week of diving...... would love to come in March, but wondering if conditions might be better in April or early May. We both have 5mm suits to bring so water temp isn't as big a consideration, just looking for clear water and calmer seas.

We want to do 3-4 days in Key Largo area (dive the Grove now that it is upright, did it back in 2003 when it was on its side), then we thought maybe a day in Boca area doing wrecks, then a day up at Phil Foster Park shore diving. :D

I shoot underwater video, hubby shoots underwater stills so we are looking for best conditions and less chances of rough weather. We were in Coz last year the last week of March and was windy with seas were pretty rough every day. Just wondering if South Fla gets storms blowing through that time of year, too.

thanks!

robin:D

Short answer: YES

Robin, there is no doubt that later in the year holds a better chance for less wind and resultant calm seas - Although we are waaaaay south, the Keys and South Florida, are effected by the cold fronts that come through on a regular basis.

While they don't bring snow, they can mess up the diving via high winds and rough seas - its frankly worse in the Keys; because so many of the sites are shallow <40' - you can also get surge, my least favorite condition.
Frankly, Coz is effected less b/c the sights along the wall are much deeper.

Not to "pile it on" but this winter has been especially windy and downright cold - one of the worst in 30 years that I can remember. And as there is zero shore diving in the Keys - sites are 4 - 6 miles out - you have to take a boat.

OTOH, you could luck out and get a week of no wind, nice temps, and calm seas - although your luck is not there if past weather is any indication this winter.

So come later if you can - May is often a great month - and June, July and August are better still for calm seas.

If you want some recomendations for Op's in the upper Keys, post back.

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty. :D
Can't go in summer, we have other trips planned and have to work everything around my husband's work schedule. We haven't been diving since Oct, which is a long time for us! We both can't wait to get in the water again.

Water and weather are generally better in April and May but conditions change daily and we have many excellent days regardless of the month. 5mm should work out great on the Spiegel that time of year.
Larry

Water and weather are generally better in April and May but conditions change daily and we have many excellent days regardless of the month. 5mm should work out great on the Spiegel that time of year.
Larry

since the reefs are generally shallow, doesn't the rough water from windy conditions mean that vis is low?

Often, yes - the worser (did that on purpose!) condition is SURGE

diving in surge doesn't bother me at all, I dive in Calif in surge all the time. :wink: You just have to learn not to kick against it.

I am concerned about vis though. And one of the reasons we want to go to Fla again is that we haven't done the Grove since it has been upright. It looks like such an awesome dive now. I would hate to get there and not be able to do that dive at least once.

we are still trying to decide if we want to go... no decision yet. We have some free flights on Southwest and thought this would be a good way to use them.

diving in surge doesn't bother me at all, I dive in Calif in surge all the time. :wink: You just have to learn not to kick against it.

I am concerned about vis though. And one of the reasons we want to go to Fla again is that we haven't done the Grove since it has been upright. It looks like such an awesome dive now. I would hate to get there and not be able to do that dive at least once.

we are still trying to decide if we want to go... no decision yet. We have some free flights on Southwest and thought this would be a good way to use them.

We've been diving in the Keys in wind right at the limits of any boat going out (our Dive Op was one of the very few that day; big boat, 4 divers). The surge is pretty much on the surface. Vis is likely to be altered, but unless you are a boat captain or a long-time DM there, it is pretty hard to be certain exactly HOW the vis will be altered at a particular site. Twice we've been there under rough conditions and generally poor vis. But, in both cases, the captain altered plans and tried his best guess as to what site might have decent vis and got it right.

We've been diving in the Keys in March and early June and June was much, much calmer. Essentially flat water. We've been told, as was suggested in a post above, that April and May are the best months for Keys diving. Water is in the upper 70's; air is warm, but not too warm; no hurricanes and the wind is usually down. That said, we talked to a charter sailboat captain last spring who told us that the wind in the Keys had been abnormally strong, on average, the entire previous year.

Go HERE for historical wind and temp data for Molasses reef.

on the East coast March is the windy month for serious kite flying. I was in Keys in march ,spring break in 1971 , 10 ft seas. milky vis . so I never go in march. April thru mid may is an unsettled time in the keys. a lot of blown out days, but good ones too. Certainly better odds than March.Then from mid may on its almost gauranteed good times.[well, except for a hurricane] I have made 74 trips to the Keys since 1970, something about that place is just fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom