The ol' fatboy needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently made myself aware of the requirements to become an assistant instructor. One of the skills necessary is to dive with mask fins and snorkel to at least 8' and leave the mask snorkel and fins at the bottom. Return to the surface and then make a breath holding dive down to the equipment and put it on then clear mask and snorkel before reaching the surface. Problem is I can't hold my breathe that long. I need all your ideas on how to build up breath holding capability.

I'd start with lots freediving. If you swim for fitness you should start trying to swim underwater for as long as you can at various ponts during you're swim. :)

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head,
Sam

If you smoke... STOP!

Cardio training, especially swimming and running will help as well.

Start free-diving more to get more comfortable.

Practice when sitting on the couch. Have a timer handy to gauge progress.

Learn to flush your lungs before descending by taking a few deep breaths... polish up on your "shallow water blackout" theory. Take precautions.

Use a very low volume mask to gain an advantage.

Do all of the above and you'll look like a superstar! :D

We had to perform a similar skill for my OW cert. I couldn't do it the first night, but when I left I spent two days visualizing that I could do the skill. I would take my breath, dive in, retrieve my gear, and clear my mask & snorkel all in my head. When I jumped in to perform the skill I got it the first time! Only the instructor wasn't watching... I had to do it three mores times to get it, but I made it! Half the battle is knowing that you can do it...

-kate

Only a short breath hold is required for that exercise, we did something similar for YMCA divemaster. Unless you have a significant physical deficiency, you can easily do it. The problem is mental not physical. Following Mario's exercises will increase your comfort level with breath holding so you can easily complete the exercise.

Try to use sufficient weight during the exercise so that you are neutrally buoyant or nearly so on the bottom. It's hard to put on the gear while floating up, and your surface dive will be easier. Minimize all unnecessary movement! Scuba divers are always thrashing about, wasting precious air when they try to freedive. Also, don't rush to clear your mask, keep the air in your lungs where it can help. If you need to see, clear it halfway, finish retrieving the gear, and then complete clearing before surfacing. Finally do at least a few breath holds immediately prior to the exercise. It takes at least 15 minutes of freediving for divers to reach full potential.

Ralph

best peice of advice I can think of is

RELAX... I actually do breathing exercises and when relaxed I can go well over 2 minutes... when I'm tense that number drops to about 30 seconds...

It really is somewhat mental.... breathe normally, take a few deep breaths.. in through the nose... out through the mouth.. (very zen like)... and practice doing it calmly...

don't struggle with the mask.. just calmly grab it, put in on... give a puff through your nose to clear it and you should be good to go..

Good Luck :D

Hey JBD,

If you are the owner of your very own integrated life preserver (like me!!!), then doing a surface dive may be your problem. I float like a cork; in fact, during my Float for Dive Master I kept my hands above water for the entire time… not just the last measly couple of minutes. The EASIEST method to freedive, (at least for me) is to take three real quick & deep breaths (NO MORE- see Mario's note on apnea & diving), bend at the hips (so your legs are parallel with the surface and your torso is pointing down). Then raise your legs into the air and let their weight push you down. A few kicks and a stroke or two (NOT a DIR thread here, so don't get excited) and you will be there. Use a L-O-W volume mask with a nose purge (cheating is OK) and gently float to the surface.

BTW, my Dive Master "final" was for two of us to descend to the bottom of the pool with one regulator off. Then we had to exchange all of our gear, all the while buddy breathing. Thought I was going to die, as I am very inflexible (my joints, Chester) and just LOVE to breathe. I got my DM cert, and am still alive to recount the tale, so I believe that most people can do it. It just takes practice, the right mental attitude, and an affinity for pain. :tease:

From one of your earlier post I recall that you and I are of the same build inch for inch and pound for pound. I wonder if they will let me use my purge valve mask? Actually when I put the snorkel in my mouth I have a strong tendency to inhale!! The surface dive I can do--compliments of my weight!! Just can't hold my breath much ove 45 seconds. Also I'm very inflexible in my back so I have know idea how I'll get my fins on UW. So how did you manage the fins? I think the buddy breathing gear exchange is something I have to do also. And all this time I thought SCUBA was supposed to be RELAXING fun :loopy:

Hey JBD,

I simply informed my partner BEFORE the exercise that if he wanted to pass that he would have to take care of the fins for me. He put my fins on, and I did his, so it looked like we were a team... which we really are, being best friends and all and working together. Another trick that I worked with for some time is to practice holding my breath just before I go to sleep. I time it on my watch every night. I am now up to 2 mins 30 secs. I call it my “mantra” and many of the students who look at me during a dive sometimes think I am in deep thought. Just relaxing and watching every move they make!!! When something goes askew, I am right there to help. :tease:

Physiologically there is no reason for you not to be able to do it.It will be mainly mental.It depends on your determination and ignoring the burning sensation.Most divers reswallow their air and concentrate on the task at hand.Try doing it by building it up.Do it with the mask only,then the flippers only until you can try together.Lots of snorkelling will improve your comfort.Relaxation is vital.Hope that helps.
The Gasman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom