Training Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conchnclyde

Registered
Reaction score
:confused:
I was certified OW in "95", and since then have only made 20+ dives, but only was interested in diving from a very recreational stand point (vacations). I have the dives for AOW, but not the classroom, and plan to move forward in my training asap. I got my OW with a PADI LDS, but have another LDS that I may continue with my diving education/experience (SSI Program).

I am a bit confused as to which agency is best, or preferred by divers, since the LDS that I checked into for cont. ed, has an SSI Program. Should I stay with a PADI Program, or is there really a difference in the certifying agencies that would lead me to one over the other? Is one more condusive over the other career wise?

I dont want to turn this thread into a PADI vs. NAUI vs. SSI vs. etc., but I would like to hear someones educated response to choosing the right agency.

My goal is to work my way to a DM education level, over a given period of time, and possibly toward a diving career in the near future at the instructor level.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I just recently came across this website, and starting reading the threads on this site, and have found alot of good feedback regarding many issues. Thanks for taking the time to give back valuable information to those who are less experienced.

Thanks,

Find an Instructor who has a good reputation, experience and you are comfortable with. There are no agency logos on bubbles.

Since you know where you want to take your diving i suggest looking at the requirements & procedures for the different agency's, then look at the amount of time and money you are willing to invest. THEN, when you have choosen your agency, find a good instructor within that agency.....

darn i am proud of myself, i didnt mention any 'specific' agency :wink:

The differences are:

SSI requirees 24 dives to become AOW

and

Everyone seems to like to bash PADI. Some of it may even be deserved but certainly not all of it.

By the way - I went through SSI. - I made my selection based on instructors and location - not because it was SSI.

charlie99. IMHO, if you team a good instructor with a highly motivated, dedicated student then you will get quality results.

if you want to work in the dive business, you'll probably need a professional certification and definitely need a variety of skills. Develop both at the same time.

Spend time earning your certifications and also developing skills such as: marine engine repair, fiberglassing, compressor repair, speaking additional languages, and/or website bulding. The more you can bring to a potential employer, the better off you may be.

If you have a specific shop in mind that you want to work for, then earn professional certifications with the agencies they teach. If no specific shop in mind, then choose one agency and then think about crossing over to have certifications in multiple agencies. Makes you more marketable.

I am an SSi Dive Master, I know very little about the trainging Padi has, I chose my agency based on the rep of my instructor, who was excellent in all of my classes, I dont think it makes alot of differencewich agency. I do know that if you havent logged a dive in awhile SSI does offer a refresher course for divers of all level that may benifit you to take before you start your advanced training.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom