New divers visiting Boca/Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark290

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son and I got OW certified last summer.
Our only dives since have been two in St Thomas
and two in St Martin last Thanksgiving. We are
going to Boca to visit family. Arriving in the
morning of Sunday 3/28 and leaving the evening of
Friday 4/2.

We would like to do a couple of shore and/or boat dives
in the Boca area. We also want to go to Key Largo
for one night.

Depending on the weather we were thinking of heading to
Key Largo Monday and do an afternoon dive and then a
morning and afternoon dive on Tuesday before heading
back to Boca.

I am looking for suggestions on good shore dives in the
Boca area for beginers. Is it possible to get a guide for a
shore dive ? I have read a little about Pompano, LBTS and
Ft Lauderdale. We will need tanks and weights. Is there a good dive shop
recommendation that might also be able to help us with a guide ?
Any advice on dive ops for a boat dive and what area we would
want to dive. The shorter the boat trip the better in case the weather
is not great.

Any advice on who to go with in Key Largo would also be
great. What dive sites are consider don't miss when
you have just a couple of dives in Key Largo ?

Is there any reason, other than weather, why we should do
our diving in the Boca area first and then go to Key Largo ?

Thanks for the help.

shore diving is not easier than boat diving, it is actually harder in most cases. I would suggest you do the boat dives, whichever place you decide. Key Largo has lots of nice shallow dives which are perfect for beginners. Rainbow Reef also puts a DM in the water with you for free. All the dive ops in SE Florida do not unless you pay extra.

True, that shore diving is usually more difficult and dangerous than boat diving. And hey, there's no boat there to save you!

There is a brand new dive shop in Lauderdale by the Sea that caters to beach diving in that area. I'm willing to bet that you could hire one of their instructors or DMs to guide a dive for you. Gold Coast Scuba, 259 Commercial Blvd. Suite 2, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308 (954) 616-5909 Nice people.

Hi,
As said shore dives can be hard,LBTS is a hassle as in parking and the first reef close to shore is not much to see,the second and outer reef are a swim and as said no boat to save you,its ok if your staying at resort/hotel on the beach and have strong swim skills.
a local operator for some easy dives out of Pompano,

Pompano Dive Center

Key Largo is for sure a must do/see/dive as it has major wrecks to dive, and then Molasses Reef a real easy reef to dive & others to many to list,, I'm down in a several weeks to dives on it with my JOW 10 YO son,basically the whole dive is a=@ safety stop depth,good way to get back in the water,all boats-shops, have weight's and tanks.But make sure you don't get booked on a more advance dive on a local wreck /reef dive !
make sure on booking you make this clear to do a double dip on a easier reef with the boat operator, I have been out on advanced dives and had divers have to forfeit the first dive due to at booking they did not make skills clear to operator .its been a while since you dove make sure you get to the shop/boat early to work out you weighting,any other rental equipment needed.and keep a eye on the winds as they can blow you out on boat dives in the Keys and SE Florida as any were.Have a great trip!
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom