jetfin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oren413

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
hey guys,

i've been diving the past couple years with my dads original Beuchat jetfins from the 70's or 80's. Unfortunately, yesterday at work, we had a big storm and I was right in the middle of it and was left without my fins. I've dove with my buddy's scubapro jetfin and loved it. He wore an XL and had the spring straps. I wore his and it was a little tight in length but HUGE on the sides. My beuchat jetfins were a M without spring straps and were perfect. My question is this, will a large scubapro jetfin wtihout the spring straps be good for me? I wear a size 12 (46) shoe size and weigh bout 185.

I can't try on a L until i get them because i have to order them from the US.

Any help appreciated.

Oren

My question is this, will a large scubapro jetfin wtihout the spring straps be good for me? I wear a size 12 (46) shoe size and weigh bout 185.

I can't try on a L until i get them because i have to order them from the US.

Any help appreciated.

Oren

What kind of boot are you wearing? I wear size 10 Scubapro Delta boots and an XL Jetfin is a much better fit than a Large Jetfin. A little wider than needed, as you point out but with springs they fit pretty well. Also note that the Large Jetfin has a significantly smaller blade than the XL does - almost looks comical. You might do better to go with the XL and get new boots.

Here's a thread discussing the L vs XL Jet issue...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/263632-jet-fins-how-far-should-ones-heel-protrude-past-foot-pocket.html

My feet are size 9.5US and I use XL SP Jetfins with rubber straps. They fit okay with normal neoprene boots. Now I wear a neoprene sock and Chuck Taylors, they fit perfectly. I'd go with the XL's and adjust your boot size and style.

SEAN

I think a size L will be too small. I'm a size 7 (hard sole boots) and it's a tight fit to get into my L jets. Takes a bit of wiggling to get off. I would suggest an XL and then maybe finding boots that fit the fins a little better.

You need the size XL. The XL is the "Super" Jet fin and is noticeably longer than the size L version. Some claim they cannot tell the difference, well, I can.

Yes, the size XL, with standard neoprene boots 5MM should do well for you. It is normal for Jetfins to feel like they are out on your toes, it is the reason they are the arch cramping king of fins. A little work and use and that feeling will diminish. Maybe someday they will make the pocket longer, maybe thirty or forty years from now.

Jetfins, the fins I love to hate and hate to love. After all this time, they are still THE fin for serious divers.

N

I was digging through my old scuba stuff and found my old Scuba Pro Jet Fins. I bought these in 1977. They are a size L. I wear a size 11 shoe. They look a little short, but it's been so long since I had them on I don't remember how they fit. I use a 3mm boot. Getting ready to go on a warm water trip. Would I notice a difference with an XL? How do these fins compare with the Apollo splits? Thanks.

The Large will be too small for OP as well as you.

Get the XL and experiment with different boots.

I use XL jet fins with L spring straps for my size 9 Trek boots.

I have10 year old xl scuba pro Jets with factory straps and my boot size 13 akona 5 mm soft boot, and 13(46) pinnacle hard sole boot.
They both work good. I dont have spring straps that my next purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom