Looking for Shore Dives in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAirHarper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm headed to the Keys in 2 weeks and was wondering if there are any good shore dives that can be done? I'm doing some boat dives but wanted to supplement it with some a shore dive or 2. It doesn't have to be spectacular as I am new to diving, just as long as there is something to look at. Any suggestions would be great.

Nope. Not really. I suppose you could splash around in 8 feet of water and look at small fish in the sea grass. Some people dive under some of the bridges but you really gotta know what you're doing because of the strong tidal flows and boating traffic.

Best bet is to drive up to the Ft Lauderdale area and there is some decent shore diving there.

Well, I could also make a stop in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area so any good shore diving spots there would be great.

Also check into the Blue Heron Bridge. Unlike the bridges over the cuts in the Keys, this one is a relatively easy and popular dive site.

Wow that sucks, we aer almost there now. Stopped in Miami so we can go to the Boat show tomorrow and maybe Sunday an are planning to hit he Keys Monday-.

Anyone on this board around ?

Andy

Not really any good shore dives in Keys. Bridges have to be caught at slack water high tide, or just about 1 hour before the tide stops its flood and begins to ebb. Deeper channels (the deepest is under the Bahia Honda bridge, that's why its the only one of the Flagler's old bridges built with a superstructure to hold it together - depth of the water made it necessary) are often used by bulls to get in and out of the bay. Boat traffic is more of a concern. Lot's of boats, lots of rental boats with tourist operators who haven't a clue what a dive flag is - hey honey, let's speed over there, they might be a catchin' somethin', with that flag in the water and all." Rent a boat or go out on a boat, or boat bum at the ramps, offering to chip in on gas for a ride,or do Ft. Lauderdale or Blue Heron Bridge up on Singer Island. Good luck. Stay safe. Have fun.

Ok, well I guess with the limited shore dives in the area anyone know any good snorkeling spots? I will be with a group of friends and not all are scuba certified so it might be a better idea anyway.

Lots of great snorkeling spots a few miles offshore and lots of great snorkeling charters to take you there. The Christ of the Abyss is usually a big hit with snorkelers.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom