I need some Advice re-Farallon MK iii Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newbediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am new to this site, just joined. I am also new to scuba. I am also not sure if I am posting in the correct place but here goes.

I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. What is a fair price for a MK iii Farallon scooter? It has never been used and has no batteries?

I see to Farallon MK iii scooters on ebay one asks $1400 (used) the other $2600 (never used) no batteries

Thanks

I have seen 500 to 3,000 dollars. Put it on eBay, start it at 999 dollars, if people bid you know it was under priced and if nobody bids then you know it is over priced.

There is no Kelly Blue Book for scuba equipment. There is BTW a forum down page for scooters and DPVs.

When you say "new" as in new in the original box never opened, or new as in almost new and nearly worn out or "eBay" new as in most of the parts are missing? I have learned that apparently just as President Clinton had problems with the definition of "is" I find people somehow confuse themselves with the meaning of "new".

N

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

The site is big and daunting, not doubt.

The place to ask your question is in the gear section below, in the Dive Propulsion Vehicle section.

Dive Propulsion Vehicles - ScubaBoard

I will ask that your question be moved there.

Thank you Nemrod & boulderjohn. I will try there, and yes I find id difficult to manouver around on this site, its a little busy. But it could be me... thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a scooter that hasn't been made in years, especially a Farallon, which are more difficult to find parts and all for than other scooters such as a Tekna or Mako.

Here is a thread with some more info

On a side note, why are you, as a new diver, thinking about buying a scooter? Any reason in particular?

My dive buddy has a scooter so I thought it would be nice to get one too. The mk iii I am talking about is brand new never used and still has the tags on it in the box and it is $1100 though I am affraid of the age and possibly poor burn time..

The Farallon is heavy, slow and dated. It was the scooter of the 70's. I'd save my bucks and look for a second hand Mako-type scooter. If you peruse the Decostop (a technical dive forum) you can often see folks selling Gavin, or Silent Submersion scooters for around the 2K mark.

Both are far better scooters than the old Farallon. I visited a scuba rescue team which had $$$ to buy toys and in the corner of their stock room sat several Farallons. All just decaying away. More bother than usefulness.

X

Thank you Mr.X I will take your advice. I am new to this site I joined yesterday to find out about the MK iii. I am glad I did thanks again. I will check out the Decostop forum.

When doing your research, check out the products from Dive Xtras. You can sometimes find a used Echo or Sierra (same thing as the Echo with updated electronics) for under 2K. They are about half the size, MUCH lighter and can be operated one handed. IMO One handed operation is one of the most overlooked features in DPVs. I have a Sierra and LOVE it. Other quality brands include Gavin, Silent Submersion, and the Tekna/Mako/Apollo scooters although the later are designed for two handed use.

If you just want an inexpensive scooter to have some fun with and not break the bank I have a couple friends who have good things to say about the Seadoo Explorer. At about $700 brand new they can be a bit hit and miss (as you'll find if you do a websearch) but it's hard to beat the price.

Hi, I am new to this site, just joined. I am also new to scuba. I am also not sure if I am posting in the correct place but here goes.

I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. What is a fair price for a MK iii Farallon scooter? It has never been used and has no batteries?

I see to Farallon MK iii scooters on ebay one asks $1400 (used) the other $2600 (never used) no batteries

Thanks

Newbediver:

Welcome to the board. As you can see already this is a great source of information from actual divers. You are getting a lot of good advice here.

I worked for Farallon in the mid 70's. I have been diving with all the MK series scooters; as pointed out before this was a good scooter in its day. I do not think it would be a good buy now.

The comments regarding a used Dive Xtras scooters make a lot of sense. They are very good scooters with lots of nice features.

We offer scooters as well. We have been manufacturing them for 30 years and are in our 4th generation design. The Apollo DPV is designed for two hand use and can also be used hands free. You can see it in action @ www.diveapollo.com

Best of luck on your purchase. You are starting off right by doing your homework.

Back
Top Bottom