fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chironomidkraut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i am at a standstill with my fin selection, i curently have Aeris mako fins and they are a bit too still for me....... i will soon be a drysuit diver but right now just mainly coldwater diving, all freshwater.....
my selection is between
ScubaPro Jet fins
OMS slipstream fins
and finally
Oceanic V16 split fins
any imput would help good or bad.....
thanks all:eyebrow:

Scubapro Jetfins are the best I've ever used. I've heard good things about Slipstreams, but have never tried them. I've not tried the V16s, but have tried other splits (Apollo Bios and Scubapro Twin Jets) and didn't care for them at all.

Scubapro Jetfins are the best I've ever used. I've heard good things about Slipstreams, but have never tried them. I've not tried the V16s, but have tried other splits (Apollo Bios and Scubapro Twin Jets) and didn't care for them at all.

That would be my advice. I used a buddies OMS Slipstream. I like them better than my Jetfins only because they seem lighter to me and are neutral in the water. But you can pick up the Jetfins on Ebay pretty cheap.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too still", and I don't know the Makos - but I put both the OMS and Jets in the "really stiff" category.

The main difference between jet and slipstreams seems to be the foot pocket sizes and weight (jets sink, OMS are neutral). Depending on boot size and trim issues, one or the other will work better.

If you plan to dive dry soon, I'd hold before buying anything as your trim and foot size will be impacted. The best way to decide is to borrow a pair and try them out.

You'll find plenty of information and disinformation on split fins vs blades :popcorn:

Last edited:
Scubapro Jetfins are the best I've ever used.

Jets+vs+Sharks.jpg

When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way
from your first cigarette to your last dyin' day.
When you're a Jet, let 'em do what they can,
you got brothers around, you're a family man!
You're never alone, you're never disconnected!
You're home with your own
when company's expected, you're well protected!
Then you are set with a capital J,
which you'll never forget till they cart you away.
When you're a Jet, you stay a Jet!

meant to say stiff, they are pretty long to, i seem to get sore legs using them for any amount of time

but would the slipstreams and jets be more fore techies not just recreational divers??

The water doesn't know - or care - if you're rec or tec.

:shocked2:

but would the slipstreams and jets be more fore techies not just recreational divers??

Techies scrutinize every piece of gear out there to the 'n'th degree. When they settle on a style there is a reason and a lot of trial and error behind it. The slipstreams and jets are a time proven design. They work. All these other fins out there are just trying to create a better mousetrap. Some work. Some don't. If something works it really shouldn't matter if your a rec or tech diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom