What wet suit for red sea in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonny boy

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for suitable wet suits for a liveaboard in May? In dubai in may i wear either a 3mm shorty or just a rash vest - would this be suitable for red sea temps?

Cheers

Liveaboard = 3 or 4 dives a day ... one gets cold after the second dive ... plus the wind chill mentioned by Red Sea Shadow. Forget about the shorty, at least in Egypt.

In May in northern Red Sea (Sinai, Gubal) water is usually around 23-24°C at any depth. In southern Egypt (Hamata, St-John) it's 1 or 2°C warmer. In Soudan it's warmer.

For a liveaboard in May in the Egyptian Red Sea, take at least a 3 mm full wetsuit not too old (= not too crushed). Some underwear (lycra or Fourth Element) and a neoprene hood wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, with a full 5 mm wetsuit you should be fine.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
I kind of have the same question but I am not doing a live-aboard. Will the 3mm or rashy be fine just for Dahab at this time of year?

Around May I take a full length 5mm and have a hood available too. The dive guides may well still be in dry suits!

Multiple days+multiple dives=5mm. plus hood(+ chicken vest to play it safe).

FWIW = I am going on a Red Sea liveaboard in late May (Deep South safari). I am generally fine with the cold (drysuit diver year round in cold water). I am bringing my 5mm full suit.

I am going to Sharm in May also but not liveabord, i will do daily diving probably 2 or 3 dives when we go out. I also intend to at least do the Thistlegorm as well. So you say a 5mm full length is best or is that just for liveaboards? I have a 5mm shorty with hood attached and a 7mm full wet with seperate hood. Is the 7mm to much for then? Please help......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom