Ancient pottery pics Gulf of Thailand [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Ancient pottery pics Gulf of Thailand

Sponsored Link

andibk
February 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Click on the link to see pics of Ancient pottery that were recovered and cleaned up by the Thai Archeology department. he pottery come from wrecks in the Gulf of Thailand. Most of the wrecks are in the 50-60 meter range.The Archeology deparment are diving with classic Inspirations with VR3's for the 4 cell.

http://deeptecthailand.com/imagegallery/categories.php?cat_id=13

andibk

Compression
February 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Very interesting that. Thanks andibk!

limbo
February 14th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Nice pics andibk, some cool pottery.

Do you know of any wrecks at shallower depths out in the Gulf, around 30 meters, not meaning the usual suspects.

andibk
February 16th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Here is the link to the Thai Archeology deparments museum.

maritime/main.htm (http://www.thailandmuseum.com/thaimuseum_eng/maritime/main.html)

andibk

lord khram
February 16th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Are these wrecks protected, or are they open to divers?

Bowmouth
February 16th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Are these wrecks protected, or are they open to divers?

You should ask Jamie!!:rofl3:

andibk
February 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Lord Kram
The Thai archeology department spends alot of time researching these ship wrecks to gather as much information as they can to find out where these wrecks come from. The more that they are disturbed makes the job that much harder for them. If you would like to see the work that they have done it is best to go to the Museum and see the fine displays that they have. The museum is in Chantaburi just about 3 hour drive from either Bangkok or Pattaya. I do not know the "Official" law reguarding the diving on the wrecks but I honestly do not believe it is allowed. IF you have any questions reguarding the Thai maritime archeology laws please contact Erbprem at 0853346732. Erbprem is in charge of the archeology department and will be more then happy to answer your legal questions.

andibk

lord khram
March 2nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
Lord Kram
The Thai archeology department spends alot of time researching these ship wrecks to gather as much information as they can to find out where these wrecks come from. The more that they are disturbed makes the job that much harder for them. If you would like to see the work that they have done it is best to go to the Museum and see the fine displays that they have. The museum is in Chantaburi just about 3 hour drive from either Bangkok or Pattaya. I do not know the "Official" law reguarding the diving on the wrecks but I honestly do not believe it is allowed. IF you have any questions reguarding the Thai maritime archeology laws please contact Erbprem at 0853346732. Erbprem is in charge of the archeology department and will be more then happy to answer your legal questions.

andibk

Thanks for the usefull info here, I think I have been in this museum a few years ago, but its not the same as diving.
I agree with your comments fully and under such circumstances divers should exercise some common sence and not disturb anything on such historic sites, we should all be able to controll our buoyancy sufficiently as to not even touch such wrecks let alone disturb things on them.
I am a firm believer that things (natural or manmade) that are on the seabed should be left alone for others to see them as ourselves were fortunate enough to do.

John

wedivebc
March 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
I am a firm believer that things (natural or manmade) that are on the seabed should be left alone for others to see them as ourselves were fortunate enough to do.

John

I agree but I'll bet most of these wrecks are beyond what many consider recreational dive limits.

TimA
March 3rd, 2010, 02:55 AM
Great Stuff!

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1