Employment and things in So Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We (My better half, Kate and I) are planning on making a move later this year and I was wondering what the mood is like for employment in Palm Beach County? This is spurred on from the "Live in S. Fl? Why don't you move? The pros and cons" thread.

I own a remodeling company here in Virginia Beach and will open up shop down there. I do alot of custom remodeling on homes here and after looking at the demographics there, it looks like there are opportunities to be had in the land of year round diving. Here is a photoalbum with some of the jobs I have done..... Clicky

Also we like doing volunteer work involving our passion for diving. Is there anything such as coral conservation, marine conservation, marine animal rescue that we can get involved with.

Kate and I plan on joining a scuba club once we settle in. Any recommendation on that?

Thank you and Happy Valentines Day!

Randy, if you own your business and are self employed, knock yourself out. You already know the risks of new business success. If you are looking for a job, get one before you move. Just my humble opinion here. I would never move somewhere without a job. Having said that, I did once. I moved to Melbourne, FL in 1979 without a job. But, my fiance had one. She is still my valentine.

Randy here's a resource for you: Florida Trend publishes a few daily e-mails on business related issues in Florida. They also publish a weekly small business specific issue; subscribe to that mailing at the website.

I'm sure you're aware that Florida's business and economic activity ebbs and flows in large part on tourist and seasonal traffic. I suspect that will influence your timing when considering a move to Florida. For example, if a hurricane pays us a visit in the 2010 season that could provide a "kick start" to your business.

As you know the housing industry here is in the dumps and will be for a "while". There's lots of opinions concerning how long a "while" will be and it depends, in part, on your location. I don't work in the housing/real estate area so I can't speak to that. I agree with you that the demographics in certain geographic areas are favorable for your business - and the converse is true in other areas. I suspect your scuba diving interests will provide a natural entry point for networking opportunities across the state.

I'm sure others here will be happy to help. If you have specific questions, let 'em flow.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! I am aware of the housing delima in south florida but it is not unlike California where I moved from 2 yrs ago or Virginia Beach. The fact that I can build anything with quality and style sets my business apart and gives me the confidence to make this move. I have been researching alot of things down your way and it excites me knowing that its a good overall situation for us to thrive in.

I would like to find out about any type of volunteer ocean/shark/reef conservation groups that we might be able to join once we make the move. If anyone has any sources for this I would appreciate any information you can forward to me. We both volunteer at the Virginia Aquarium on the dive team, whale and dolphin watch teams.

Thanks for the link to Florida Trends. I will check that out and get on the mailing list.

Randy and Kate,

There is no place I would rather live than Palm Beach County. Especially for divers and business owners. The diving is some of the best anywhere and if you are hard working, do what you say, be on time, and provide a quality product and at a fair price, then being a success is just a matter of time. Plus, the housing market here is still a buyers market. Homes that sold for over 400k are now selling for mid to upper 200k.

There are also plenty of clubs and organizations to volunteer your time as well. There are plenty of great places to live in Florida but Palm Beach is my favorite. Best of luck in your transition and if we can help in any way just let us know.

John

Thanks John! It sounds like everything will be fine since those qualities are already a part of our life style and its the way we run our business.

Everyday we talk about it and as each day goes by, we see that it really will be the best thing for us to do. We want to live on a 40 ft sailboat eventually and travel and dive all over the tropics and at one point not long ago we were talking about moving to central america, either Costa or Belize. The more I think about this, I realize we will have the tropical warm weather and water than I crave plus its still in the good ol USA with all of the Carib just a puddle jump away.

It's only a matter of time!:cool2:

Welcome to FLorida!! You have to promise to sell your house to a New Yorker moving from Florida though.....

TThe fact that I can build anything with quality and style sets my business apart and gives me the confidence to make this move.

I know 8 GC's here in PBC who are scrambling for work and say the same thing... :D

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, so just go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom