Epic big animal dive in NE Fla last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So we see big fish,sharks etc almost every dive but this one was the fishiest of any dive anywhere I've ever been.
We dove straight out of Jax in 120' to 140' vis was 30' to 50' temps were 62 to 68.

1st dive was the magical one.I was by myself so the other guys backdove the spot.

I hopped in and was happy to get out of the 50 degree rainy air and into 64 degree water.As I am heading down 2 6' sandbars come into vision and bolt off.I start seeing bottom from about 60' away and see big shadows,one of the resolves into a 6'wide ray with cobia attendants.I shoot the closest cobia for dinner and proceed to sightsee.
I notice a jewfish under the ledge I'd sat my gun and stringer on and check him out and he has a brother both are about 80-100#.From off to my left above me comes a ray with more cobia and a string of big amberjacks.From the same direction along the bottom come a 8-10' sandtiger like a snaggletoothed sub.I look around and the jewfish,cobia,jacks and ray are still there and I start to notice just how fishy this place is.There are grouper,scamp,snapper,mangos,a shcool of spadefish and several types of tropical and of course the cursed lionfish.
I look macro and see why there are tons of shells,little and medium sized along with quite a few crabs and other weird looking invertebrates.

The next couple of dives we see a mola that buzzed up to 5' away,more sandbars and a school of snapper hundreds strong from 5-20# and 1 guy gets a 15# hogfish.
We are all hoping to have video issues worked out by summer so we can get some HD up of what we do here.

We were all amazed at the amount of life we'd just seen.We stayed out a little late and had to beat back into the gale force winds that came about dark Friday.We felt like the little balls in the lotto cage for a couple hours but it was worth it.

That's pretty good viz for Jax! Thanks for the report!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom