Florida Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Heads up, Gang!

If you get the Outdoor Living Network (OLN) on your cable TV system, they will be running a special on Cave Diving in Florida, Wednesday, Sept 5, at 9:00p Eastern.

I plan on watching and if I can find a blank tape, recording it.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't know if my DirectTv system has that or not, but I'll check their site and see.

Is that the same as the Outdoor Life Network? Got it.

***Update**** Got it! name of the show is Adventure Quest, but according to my guide it shows at 10:00PM central, so that's 11:00PM Eastern, 8:00PM Mountain, and 7:00PM Pacific, right?

I might have the time wrong, but for those wanting to check it out, look at their website: http://www.olntv.com

or for the show: OLN

If this is the one I think it is, my buddy Hogan and I are the ones entering Jackson Blue.... I'm running the reel.
Rick

Rick,

Did they interview you?

Originally posted by TexasMike
Rick,

Did they interview you?

Naw... we ran into the film crew as we were getting ready to dive - they asked if we minded getting filmed entering the cave and we said that'd be just dandy.. that was December 2, '99.
They went in ahead of us and filmed us entering - I have no idea whether that scene made it into the final product, or even if this is the same film - but it sounds right. I've not seen the finished product and since I'll be in the pool tonight when it comes on I won't see it then either. I'll have to see if I can have it taped.
Rick

Looks like we were both right, TexasMike. It did show at 8:00 Central and is coming on again at 10:00. At least it is o DirectTv. Funny thing is that when I check the satelite schedule last night, it only listed it at 10:00. Oh well, I watched and it was a neat show, but it just reconfirmed my feelings that I have absolutely no desire to go that far into the earth. Man those guys have to carry to much gear! That would take all of the fun out of it for me and you know what they say, "If it ain't fun, don't do it!".

The show was a good overview of the WKPP folks and the GUE (Global Underwater Explorers) crowd. George Irvine was featured as "one of the top divers in the world" and as one of the two divers to get over 3 miles into the cave.

Topics covered were:
  • Hazards of Caving
  • Gear
  • Use of guidelines and
  • signalling
  • the sheer amount of support required for two divers to get that far into the cave
  • Decompression
  • Scooters
  • Rebreathers (those that they use make our single cylinders and the Dragers look tiny!)
  • and much more.

I did get a good taping of the show. If you'd like a copy, e-mail me and I work something out with ya.

Back
Top Bottom