Band Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groobie85

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a JBL woody sawed off mag with three 9/16" bands. I would like to upgrade the bands. I was thinking either a bit thicker or a little shorter. However I currently have 3 9/16" bands on there (stock) and I think that if I went to 5/8" I could only do two. Would this still increase my power? or am i better off keeping the three 9/16" bands and just getting some a little shorter. i was thinking 17" bands. What do you guys think?

Go an inch or 2 shorter and thicker if you are looking to go from 3 to 2. Just make sure you can still load it.

Remember that more range and penetration are best accomplished by upgrading the mass of the object you are shooting (shaft) and not adding band power alone. Of course the more mass or power you add the more the gun will kick, so you are better off using a gun that already shoots a larger shaft, EG a bigger gun.

Cool thanks. Yeah I think I will keep the 3 9/16" size bands but go from a 19" band to a 17" one. Then later down the road i will get a bigger/better gun like a riffe comp or something. Thanks for the advice.

II have a JBL woody sawed off mag with three 9/16" bands.

How old are the current bands? I usually change my bands every 3-4 months. The amount of 'snap' they loose is amazing and will throw off my accuracy a bunch. Roughly that's about 100 - 125 shots and then they are no good. Even looking at the bands they won't show any wear nor use, they look almost new.

But as soon as you put on the new set, you'll be amazed at the 'snap' they have. I stick to the same length, size, and material for consistency. I have it marked on my calendar and change or recharge batteries at the same time. If your bands are a year old or more, toss them no matter how many times you've shot them. You'll spend double the amount of money on lost fish and missed shots, versus $20 and your freezer stuffed. Pat will agree, it's a pennies compared to all the other costs and time that go into a dive.

Accuracy kills, not power.

I have the same gun and mine came with 9/16x20" bands. So if you go to 17" it might be a little short.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom